Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ELIXIR

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by citizen, Mar 28, 2003.

1. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Hi men,
    i use elixir string since 4 months and they are as new.
    it s incredible,and it sounds great.
    try them you ll see.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    um...

3. I'm with you on that!! I've been using elixurs ever since they came out. I actually got a free pair in the mail as promotion and have been using them religiously ever since. They're expensive, but worth every penny.

4. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Right i bought a pack of five strings today in paris and i reckon there are very nice !!!!! i have to see test them more of course but still it has a very good sound!

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I was about to start my own Elixir thread when I saw this one.

I´ve tried just about every strings on the market here in Iceland. To name same brands that I´ve tried; Fender, GHS Boomers, DR Lowriders, Blue Steel and some others.

I have always returned to Fender strings, they have been my preference until last week.

During practice last monday I broke my E string and I did not have a spare :oops:

Couple of days later I went to my usual music store and they were all out of the fender strings I wanted to use on my MIA Fender jazz V. I did not want to go to the other brands mentioned here above so I decided to splurge a little bit and I bought the Elixir nanoweb coated strings, product nr.14302.

So far I love them! They are smooth as buttah, yet that does not take away the brightness you usually associate with new normal strings.

Thumbs up to Elixir! I will continue to buy those strings from now on, even though they are freakishly expensive!

6. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I play w/ Blue steels and they are madd expensive. 35 a pack, how much are the elixes

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    50-60$

Here in Iceland they go for about 70$ :(

8. I've been using Elixir Polywebs since they first came out (5yrs.?) and also got a few sets for free from Gore.
    I'm spoiled and don't use anything else.

They sell for $10 a string.
    $40 - four string set.
    $50 - five string set.

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I have had the five strings on my bass for 2 days and i already have some black traces on it where i play with my finger.i often sweat a lot when playing that's maybe why...does it alter the sound and quality and is the protection enough??
    I can use "fast fret" products maybe.Do you know these products?see link below:
    http://www.brookmays.com/prod_disp.asp?itemnum=A87

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Wow..dunno where you been shopping, but around here all the chain stores carry 4 string sets of blue steels for about $20. and 5's for about $27. I use D'addario myself, and they are about $45 for a pack of Chrome 5's. Elixirs are very nice strings- I hear they last a long time too.
    As far as sweating on your strings, that kinda bites. From what I have been told by my local luthier, people with moist/sweaty hands degrade their strings much faster. I am lucky in that I have sandpaper for hands. :D I can play 2 hours a day for a month and my flats still feel silky smooth without wiping them. :)

11. Yeah. I think they go for about $23 per pack 4/string at Sam Ash.

Mike

12. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Anyone ever use them on a fretless, and is it a good or a bad idea?

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    No, you don't need to put anything on the Elixirs. The black will go away after a few hours of playing the strings. It is a little strange, but don't worry.

The beauty of Elixirs is that they are immune to such sweating. The coating keeps sweat (and skin oils and other finger grunge) out from between the windings. That's what keeps them sounding new for so long.

Yes, and yes! They mwah like nickel roundwounds (because that's what they are), they add to the "slinky" feel of fretless, and IMHO they wear fingerboards a lot less than "naked" strings. Like Niz and Donne, I got a free set in '99. I have used nothing else ever since, and am on only my fourth set on fretless. As far as I'm concerned, I get my money's worth. That's only about one set per year. They are an excellent value.

The big advantage (aside from cost) is that their tone does not change THROUGH A GIG or a recording session. Ever notice how the zing is gone by third set on a hot sweaty night, even with brand new strings? Not with Elixirs.

No commercial interest -- I just want to make sure enough people buy 'em to keep them in business, because I sure don't buy that many sets.

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Thanks eli !!!!!!!!!!!! i was worried...:meh: :D

15. these are the next strings im looking at getting. i hear that they live forever and sound great. i just need to get some new strings other than my super slinky's

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    For a guy that's spent a ton of money on basses and rigs, I'm a real cheap skate when it comes to strings. Over the past year, I must have read at least a half-dozen different threads from guys who have been playing their Elixers for 3-6 months and claim the strings still sound new. I'm still having a problem with the $50 price for a 5 string set. If I keep on seeing posts like this one, I'll be a "Elixer convert" sometime in the near future.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Has anyone had any problems with their Elixirs and sustain? I just bought my first set of Elixirs, and they don't sound "dead", just somewhat thumpier than the D'Addarios that I am used to. Perhaps it has to do with the string gauges, though. The store only had medium-gauge, and the strings I normally use are ultra-light gauge. The Elixirs just don't seem to "sing" like the D'Addarios. (BTW, these are being used on my Fretless J.)

18. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Not sustain per se, but I did notice that the Elixirs are a touch less bright than bare nickel rounds. But since they don't change, after 6 hours or so of playing the Elixirs will be WAY brighter than the nickels.

Certainly your gauge selection will affect this. Heavier strings are never quite as lively as lighter, and the step from ultra-light to medium is quite a step.

19. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    i went to frankfort for the music exposition, and i was given a 6 string elixir package.
    it s really incredible string.
    tone and punch are perfects.

20. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Although I haven't put them on my GB I have played A Fodera with Elixir strings on just the other week i was very impressed with the sound and the feel of the strings.. but me being a poor Music Tech student cant afford the stupid prices asked for them....if i was a rich man then i would probably convert.. for the time being however i'll have to stick with my Elites....i still love em lots:D