Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs and buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James G. Ellis, May 8, 2005.

1. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    I just put some nanowebs on my bass, which was previously dead quiet, but now it has buzz out the wazoo! How can I correct this issue?
    Anyone? Bueller?

2. Well, when you use a different brand or different gauge of strings they will put more or less tension on the neck, so its probably just needing a slight setup

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have found that Elixers buzz, and my friend has noticed that Elixers buzz. It never comes through the amp though, I can just hear it when i'm unplugged.

4. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    I'm clear as mud!
    I mean there is an electrical buzz that absolutely was not there before in any form before I put the Elixirs on.
    I have tried scraping the part of the string that contacts the bridge saddle to no avail.
    What now? :confused:

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if its an electrical buzz. its not the strings.

if its a slight fret buzz, its the strings and or set up.

take it to a guitar guy, have him look at it.

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's because your fingers touching the strings create a ground, buth when you coat the strings with plastic, you are no longer able to do that. I notice the same thing with tapewound strings. I don't really have a solution, but I do know if you play with a pick with your palm resting on the bridge, it doesn't buzz.

7. I bet you have a String through the body bass don't you?
    If so, the problem is sense the ball ends do not electrically connect to the bridge as with top loaders the coating isolates the string from ground making it an antenna. Try this:

Loosen the strings and scrape the coating under the string where it contacts the saddle. That should do it.

Gary :hyper: