Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs are coming off

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I was looking forward to trying my free set. I am glad I did not pay for them. They sound dead out of the package and the B string thuds almost flat like. I normally use D'Addario XLs and I have heard many say the Elixirs are close. But not to my ears. I will soak the XLs I just took off in alcohol overnight and put them back on in the morning. And I will order a couple more sets of the XLs. The Elixirs have a snap if you slap and pop but they do not have a full finger style sound IMO.

Dave

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I actually don't think the D'Addario's sound anything like the Elixir's at all. The Elixir's that I received were noticably deader out of the box than even my dead D'Addario's. The Elixir's are that bad though. Certainly good for fingerstyle, not good for tapping.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    +1

I put the DA XLs back on after soaking them in alcohol and was really pleased with the sound improvement.

Dave

4. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh, ive played some elixers, and i hated them form the start, i thought the sounded dead,after useing them i also put my old strings back on and belove it or not, the old d'addario XLs sounded better than the new elixers, now thats saying something.

-Jacob :bassist: