Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs arent worth the money

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lo-end, Aug 27, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I invested in some elixir nano web strings (45-100) for my bass and I am quite disappointed with them. Elixir strings are sold on their resistance to going dead, but they have this coating on them that makes them sound very dull. I play with a pick and I rely on a bright and punchy tone and these strings are very dull. Basically, they sound like they are strings that are already broken in, and that is not my "bag"

These strings are very expensive and you should only buy them if you dont need to have bright strings, cause these strings certainly arent.

My $0.02

2. Hmm. Mine sound great...3 months into them. Probably will sound great until I get picky and put the other set that I have on. Then I'll be dissapointed because the bass will sound the same.

Hmm, did you relieve any twisting that might have occured during the stringing process? Might make it sound dead, something I lucked onto one time. I will play with a pick now and then, and these suckers are plenty bright for my tastes. But...all just MHO

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm with tufnuts. They are bright enough for me and one of the few strings I actually like. They have a crispness (not brightness) and clarity I hear in few other strings.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Elixirs, IMHO, are the perfect string for recording. You get a very consistent sound right out of the package. And, they sound like they have already been broken in. If you crave that bright stainless sound, then, yes, you will be disappointed. But, if you are looking for a string that sounds the same on day 73 as it does on day 1, then these are the strings for you.

5. I like the polyweb Elixiers, not the brightest, but just right. Usually last me a long, long time. Went back to SS strings (got some Warwick BL free) on the last string change... can't wait to get back to Elixiers.
    Bottom Line: Elixiers ARE worth the money. If you think they're dead, save the receipt and get a new set. If you email the company with your complaint, they will tell you to ship the strings with a copy of the receipt and they'll send you a new set.

6. I agree with the others, and get this!!.....

bought my new bass, which was a demo with quite a few hours on the strings (Elixirs). I don't want to ever change these strings, and it doesn't sound like I'll need to soon. They are plenty bright, just not brittle sounding. I love these strings. They sound, feel, and play awesomely.

Now, for picking, they may not be the best because they are soft, which means they will tend to move a lot when you pick them. But I've used a pick on a few songs here and there, and thought it was OK. The softness effected the playability when picking, not so much the sound.

To each his own, but I say "Viva la Elixir"!

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've been using Elixirs for some years now, and I recently tried the Nanowebs, and to me they have a funny twinge to them when slapped. Like they are bright, but in the wrong way. Strange. I'm going back to the polys, I think. Punch and beef. thats what I want in a string.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I love Elixirs, especially the Nano's. Plenty bright, great for slap and they last a LONG time. Well-worth the money.

9. sorry, man, it looks like we all have different opinions on Elixirs. I guess we all hear things differently, buy my guess is either something's wrong with the set you got, or your tastes are a whole lot different than others of us.....

Rock on.....

Mark

10. I switched from Ken Smith's to Elixers about two months ago, don't think I'll be switching back. The Elixers are definately darker, but for fretless I think they are superb.

The salesman who sold them to me did ask if I used a pick ( on a fretless?!? ). He said that using a pick can pretty quickly start cutting away at the coating on the strings. I would think the thicker the guage of the pick, the quicker it would tear up the strings.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a G&L L2500. While I love the bass, the one beef that I have with is that the treble is a little harsh. This isn't aweful, when you get a little fret clatter, it is really pronounced because of the sensitive treble.

I was wondering, would the nanoweb coating act like a "bumper" and keep the fret noise down? This would really help me. I play with a really light touch to avoid it anyway, but it still happens now and again.

Chas

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think it would definitely help. The thing that so many people like about the Elixirs is that they sound "broken in" right out of the package. And, they don't tend (IMHO) to have that trebly 'zing' as most strings. Just a clear, tight tone.