Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs on a Ibanez BTB515

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Heavy_E, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    WOW...

I put some on my BTB 515 5-string. It is a HUGE sound improvement and it even plays smoother. I wish I would have put them on sooner. Granted... they are pricey... I can't wait until practice tonight...

2. They came stock on mine. I bought mine in Oct. 2002. maybe they just recently started putting them on the BTB's stock. I've used them before on my old soundgears, roadstars, and yes, my rick.

Although I really like elixers... I think I'm ready to graduate to a brighter string. I have a lot to learn about strings, even though I've been playing for over a decade... From what I gather on this board, I'm tending to lean towards DR's... but which ones?

I play in a solid hard rock band. Not metal, but not exactly easy rock. Can anyone suggest a new string for me? I play fingerstyle, and a high action on a 5string BTB.

Thanks guys.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Try DR High Beams. I think you'll like them:)

4. High Beams? Ok DougD, I'd like to give those a try. Some have also told me Low Riders are the way to go. I'm a DR n00b, so I don't know what to try first man...

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ignore them! please please please try SIT.... You want a bright sounding, LONG lasting string that i have heard NO complants of? SIT. and their fairly cheap, so just give them a try.. FOR ME MAN. DR's are pricy... (and not worth the money... IMHO)

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I had a set of SIT's on my four string, but for some reason they just don't appeal to me. I don't quite know why. But no mater what strings I try I always wind up returning to DR High Beams. I've tried Low rider too. They are not as bright as High Beams, but they sound and feel about the same to me so I really don’t see the point (unless you want less brightness). I can get a set of DR's from my local GC for around 25 bucks and they last me long enough. Some other good bright sounding strings are GHS boomers (sound great, cheap, but don’t last) also Rotosound (these are actually my favorite sounding strings but they loose it way too quickly).

7. How bright are DRs in comparison to Elixirs ?

8. Good question. I won't know until I buy them this weekend. I'm hoping they are much brighter. Otherwise, I'd just stick with what works... the elixers.

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Strings dont' get much brighter than DR HighBeams.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I haven't have the chance to try High Beams, but I'll cast a vote in favor of D'addario Prisms. Very bright with a nice stainless steel "grind" to them. I've had great results in a hard rock setting with them.

11. How long do they last ? might try 'em.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've had mine on for just short of a year (I'm both lazy and under-financed), and while they don't have that new string "chime" they're nowhere near dead. I'd give them several months of strong "near new" sound followed by a period of "less bright but still highly usable".

They're also fairly inexpensive for higher end strings (under $25 if you shop well), are much better than boomers and last much longer that Roto's.

13. really ? hmmmm , well I think I'll put a set on my L2K tonight. But you know fellas , Elixir NANOWEBS are quite bright , its the POLYWEBS that sound dull.