1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Elixirs on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jan 17, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Quick question. I have a SUB I have up for grabs in the for sale section. I put a new set of Elixirs I had sitting around on it. I am used to the clarity and punch of Sunbeams.

Do Elixirs cut down on clarity or mid range at all? Just curious if anyone has used these on an Ray and if I am jusr hearing a difference from the Sunbeams to Elixirs or my 3 band EQ on my Ray34 to the 2 band on the SUB.

The SUB with Elixirs has a more pronounced low end but it seems to lose a little of the middy growl on my Ray34.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    My bass instructor uses it with his sterling and I can remember it works well considering that the sterling has a more pronounced midrange..

I think it cuts on mid range but don't quote me on that..

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I've used Elixirs on all my basses since 2006. They sound like a settled in set of roundwounds and stay that way for a long time. Give them a try.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I just put a set on a friends Stingray 5. They were pretty 'meh'. I was expecting some zing, they sounded TOO dead for me.

5. Lakland55

Lakland55 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I use Elixirs on my 2003 Stingray and I find that they provide plenty of clarity and midrange and IMO they don't chew up the fingers as much as other strings like Slinkys, GHS Boomers, & Roto-sounds.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I tried the Elixir market test last year and I thought they had the worst tone of any strings I've ever tried, not unlike throwing a blanket over my cab.