Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 555, Jun 23, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Are these strings nickelwound, flatwound or what? I looked in a booklet i got about these strings and it doesnt say what they are :confused:

Thanks!

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    :hyper: Elixirs are coated strings, and though I am not an endorsee, I will probably sound like one. These are the best strings (for me) that I have ever used. They sound broke in when they are new, and they last very long, much longer than conventional strings. Thay are a little pricey, but there are deals to be found on the net. I play in an acoustic Gospel group, and at church in a high nrg praise band, and we use Elixirs on evrything except the fiddle.

Great tone - Long life - Highly recomended

deBassMan

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    :meh: Woops, looks like I never answered your question. They are 'coated' round wound strings. Avoid Poly web, they end up fraying. Stick to Nano Web.

Marko

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I took a long look on my unused (spare) package of Elixir PolyWeb strings, and it doesn't say what metal they are made of. Not at all. Funny, isn't it? Perhaps it doesn't matter?

I'll say this though: I bought two sets in 2002, one set is still on my bass, the other is (still) a spare set. These strings last and last. Finally now, lately, this almost two years old set that is on my bass have started losing their polyweb coating, slightly. And this is my only bass, played fairly often. :) Good stuff.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Nickel Roundwounds with coating.

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Sweet! thanks for the replies.

These Elixir's are pretty good, i say 2nd best, Elites tops them! I currently have Elixir's on my SX 4 string Jazz bass and Elites on my Ibanez SR 5 string, Elites seem to be smoother and warmer and create less fret noise's for me :\

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    They are nickel RW. I read a while ago that they are actually Daddarios, but I don't know. I've used them (Polyweb) for 5 years. Current set has to be over a year old. Have them on Jazz's and P's. I am absolutely in love with these strings. I tried the Nano's but prefer the Poly's. I play in a classic rock cover band and they are just excellent. I also like DRs but prefer the feel of Elixirs. No RW screech. They are plenty bright, and have the punch I need for our style. Yeah, they can eventually lose some of the Gore coating, but so what! They still sound just as nice as when they are new, and thats very nice! I've gotten crud on them, dirt, hand lotion, grease, sweat and god knows what else, and these workhorses still keep doin the job and they stay in tune. I have two sets in reserve, and just bought 2 more sets (largest guage). I wanted to make sure I got more Poly's stored away in case they thought about discontinuing that model. They'll probably last me for most of the rest of my career! (I'm an old guy). :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where do you guys buy your Elixirs? I need a new set (have had my current ones on for about 4 months and they are finally beginning to loose their 'snap' . THey still sound nice for fingerstyle but the slap tone is lacking now). Im trying to avoid paying full price for them. ANy place that has them for under $35?

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Really?? I went through 3 sets of nanowebs before I learned my lesson. They started fraying after about maybe a week. The polywebs have a thicker coating, wouldn't it make sense that they would last longer?.

Bottom line--->Elixirs are NOT worth the money. IMO they eventually will sound unbalanced cuz the E and A will dull down while the D and G will still have that new string zing, unless you noodle around on the D an G ALOT.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you use a pick or play aggresively? I find thats the only way the nanowebs fray.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Do you guys use coated strings on a fretless? Despite them being roundwound, will the coating prevent them from eating up the fretboard?

sorry to hijack the thread.
    Travs

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm a strict finger player. Back then I guess I did play somewhat aggressively, but I'm all about the soft touch now. I remember the nano web coating came almost completely off my B string. I just think coated strings work much better for guitars than they do for bass.

13. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I used Polywebs, and they frayed, I personally don't feel I have that agressive of a finger style, but I did have them on for a while. It has not been my experience that they become unbalanced.

14. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    "the E and A will dull down while the D and G will still have that new string zing"

I've not found this to be the case at all. They all sound balanced to me, throughout their life. And yes, they fray eventually. But I cannot tell a difference in tone when they fray. They mellow down very slowly.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Personally, I think they're entirely too bright.

I can say that I think they lasted just fine. I had them on my bass for several months of fairly intense playing, and the had only just started acting like they were about to fray up in spots (especially on the D string for some reason). They last fine, I just didn't really dig on the sound I got from them.

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    elixirs are quite nice and i used to have a set on my spector, lasted 7 months, which is forever for me (i play pretty hard) right now i have a set of those new coated d'ad's and there working great. good tone, and not as slipepry as the elixirs, havent started peeling either.

17. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    :cool: I run Exlixrs on my Godin A5F fretless with great success. Minimal fingerboard wear (ebony).

:scowl: I have not noticed unbalanced sound between the various strings. It could very well be pu's need adjustment.

;) deBassMan

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I love mine. I have them on a MM SR5.

They took some of the top end bite off the tone but remained punchy and growly.

I've had them on for about a month and they still sound as they did when they came out of the package.

Also I love the slippery feel to them.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I love the Elixir PolyWeb strings I have on my fretless. They sound great forever, and feel good to my fingers.

Question. Are the Elixir guitar strings made the same way / of the same material as the bass strings?
    I ask because on my new seven string bass that is being built now, I wish to have Elixir strings. But they don't have 7 string sets for bass ( the cheap bastards :D ) so I am intending to get a 6 string set and add a guitar string, .024 or thereabouts, for the high F on my bass. And I am wondering if it will sound different or unbalanced or something.

thanks.

20. tonyromen

tonyromen

May 1, 2002
    I didn't care for them on bass. However, I love them on Acoustic Guitar!....Since I don't play it as much as my bass, the elixers are great for my needs! I change them about once every year or so :D

.:T:.