Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs work great with a fretless!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GaryB, Sep 27, 2000.

1. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    For those of you who want to try roundwounds on your fretless but are concerned about fretboard wear... fret (Pun intended!) no more!

A friend of mine turned me onto Elixir strings. What makes them different is that they have a polymer coating on them. It does not interfere with how the string vibrates in any noticeable way. As a result they sound bright as you would expect a roundwound to sound. BTW the string windings are nickel plated steel.

The coating has other benfits as well. It helps reduce fret and fingering noise (Great for those like myself with questionable technique) and dirt and sweat don't make their way into the windings, so they last longer.

I have them on my fretted bass as well. After a while the polymer coating appears to shed from the exposed part of the winding. It looks like they are molting, but this does not affect the sound. This shouldn't be a problem with a fretless.

I installed the hard tension 105 - 45 set on my MIM Fretless Jazz. They are nice and growly with nice bottom definition. They give me a greater range of tone than either the stock Fender Flats that came with the bass or the Thomastik Infeld flats.

The TI flats are nice strings, but the nut on my bass is cut out for the larger gauge strings. The gauges that TI flats are available in run on the light side 100-70-56-43 resulting in string with soft tension. They seem to get that upright thing goin' on, but I found them too subdued.

So come on and share your experiences with the Elixir Strings!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego

I had Elixirs on my Washburn fretted bass for a while. They seemed like a pretty punchy string for a roundwound. I have Fender flats on that same bass now, and they are pretty one-dimensional, but I like them OK. I would imagine that you would get more of the mwah factor with the Elixirs than the others you mention.

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Thanx Gary,

I was about to ask wheter Elixers were any good on a frettless. Now I know... I'm going to put them on my 5-string Cort frettless.

If I like them I may also put them on my fretted bass. It's a 5-string Warwick so I need a tapered B. Does anybody now if Elixer makes these? Thanx.

How does the Elixer sound compare to DR??

4. I'm using the Elixirs on my Lakland 55/94 fretless, and
    I really like them a lot, for the reasons stated by the
    other posters. Highly recommended, although pricey!