Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

elixirs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chips, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gday badgers,

when i bought my bass it came with elixir strings. so when they went poo i bought some more. only to realise they cost $120 AUD. now these are some expensive strings. they have a nano web coating on them which is like a miracle. theyre soft on your fingers, but the tone is there till the coating comes off.

any one have any views on these strings. also i want to find some strings with real growl but a good slap tone aswell... any suggestions?

cheers,
    chips :bassist:

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    get the polyweb ones, the coating last longer because its thicker. itll feel even more amazing on your fingers.

3. Aren't the Poly's duller sounding than the Nanowebs?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Poly's are indeed "deader" sounding than the nano's. I would go ahead and bite the bullet and get the nano's. Mine lasted for 8-9 months a set, much cheaper than buying a set every month...

5. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    I love the Elixir polywebs personally.They are more expensive initially but I find they last at least 3-4 times longer than the roundwounds I was using previously so in the long run they actually work out cheaper.

Cheers,
    Alun

6. I only uses Elixir Nanowebs.
    I need to change set 3 times a year with Elixir nano. Despite this
    I only change 2 times/year due lack of money.

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    What do you Elixir-lovers think of the B string? I'd like to try Elixirs again, but I've never tried the five-string set.

8. The fifth nanoweb string is really good. Can't think of use another.
    But I hate that you can't buy a 5-set nanoweb Super Light.
    As you can with a 4-set nanoweb. 040 - 095.

Do you guys have any suggestion for a Super Light set? 040 - hmm, dont know the 5 string. Since Elixir dont have.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My last set were Elixir Nanowebs. Very nice once I got used to the perpetual "slick" feeling. Trying out DRs now on the advice of my tech guy, I like them a tad more so far but we'll see how well they do in the long term (the Elixir's lasted over a year before being changed).

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i wish nanowebs didnt get pic rash as easy as the polyweb. cause nanoweb's are a lot easier to find.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  11. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    I find it really good. It's the first tapered string I've found that sounds good right up to the 24th fret. Previously I was using .135 and .140 B strings to get decent definition on one of my basses but the .130 Elixir is wonderfully clear.

Alun

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use Elixer Nanos on all of my 5 string basses including a fretless. These strings last much longer than non-coated strings, so at a street price of about $50 for a 5 string set, they're worth it IMHO. How much longer they last, over conventional sets, depends on the individual player. For me, they last in excess of 6 months. I have one bass that's been strung with Nanos for 1 year, and while the strings don't have that "new" sound any more, they don't sound totally dead either. These strings are amazing.

The trade-off with these strings is that they don't sound as twangy as conventional strings when they're first strung up. The Nanos sound more like a conventional stainless steel set that's been "broken in" after a few days. So, if you really like that fresh out of the box - super zingy - brand new - stainless steels kind of tone, it might be best for you to stick with conventional stainless steel sets and change them once a week.

13. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    Quote:
    any one have any views on these strings. also i want to find some strings with real growl but a good slap tone aswell... any suggestions?

I would recommend you try a set of Dean Markley blue steels. They have a bright sound that's good for slap, and have a really strong tone so they're great for rock. They do however mellow out after awhile, but I almost think they sound better that way. I prolly would have bought another set had i not gotten a 5 string set of elixers as a gift, love those things. plus the blues are cheaper. Warwick black lables are another good one to try, but there kinda steep. Hope this helps.

14. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    As long as You make sure it has the taper-wound B. They sell only the regular B set here in Finland, so I have to order my 5 -string sets abroad. The taper is quite short, so strings thru body or some Warwicks probably wouldn't get any use out of the taper.

Product number for regular B is #14202, taper-wound is #14302, extra long scale with TW is #14304.

-Aki.