1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm considering buying some but the price is pretty high for bass strings, as I usually use Ernie Balls. The only thing I hate about them is that they don't tend to last long. Are Elixirs worth getting though?

2. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I use them pretty much all the time. For me they can last through 8 to 12 regular gigs so even at $35 to $40 a set that's a savings over regular strings that need to be changed after every other gig.

3. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    They feel nice, but they get that 5 o'clock shadow fuzzy look when the coating wears off...

4. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Do they make certain ones that are anti-rust like for an acoustic guitar? I hate having strings that are good for a month and then turn to crap.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Unless you are playing with a pick, they won't turn to crap in a month. Trust me, my hands eat strings like crazy and Elixirs last a long, long time.

I like they way they feel too. Totally worth the price to me. When I pick up my bass, I know how it is going to sound.

6. YES

they last a REALLY REALLY long time and they sound and feel VERY good..

you would pay MORE replacing cheaper strings more frequently.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno about elixirs for bass, as I use flatwounds and have never changed my strings, but I have elixirs on my guit*r and they last for flippin ever. They sound amazing, too. They do get that fuzzy look as the coating wears, but I haven't noticed a huge effect in the sound of the strings.

9. I've been playing bass-gigging- for 30+ yrs. & at gigs my hands sweat like crazy...thus my bass strings last one gig sounding great-I wipe 'em down with alcohol after gigs- the next gig they sound good, next OK then they sound cr@ppy. I 1st bought Elixirs as they were the only 'coated' string I';d seen & they DID last & sound new(well they don't sound QUITE as brite as brand new strings... they sound about like a new set after perhaps ONE gig!) for a LONG time- as stated on the packs- they DO last 3-5 X as long as reg. strings & therefore make it VERY worth while buying them IF U have sweaty hands & go thru strings. IF, however, you tend to break strings regularly- maybe avoid them. I found- later other brands of coated strings-My faves are probly D'addario EXP coated strings. Not as expensive as eLIXIR- last almost as long as Elixir & IMO sound as good or better. DR coated come in a close 3rd. BUT they DO make them is all colors!!! Looks cool having black strings/red strings on my red bass ;-)

So in closing----I ONLY use coated strings now- just not worth me buying uncoated strings-as they 'wear out' after a cuppla gigs. Even the cheapest of the 3 I mention- DR coated strings last 3 x as long as regulars. I Do like the DR coated-get 'em off ebay for good prices too. As U can with D'addario & Elixirs. I like the D'addario EXP coateds as the coating is applied before winding-Elixirs are coated AFTER winding IIRC!!! To me the D'addario EXP's are superb strings IF they made them in colors-they'd be ALL i'd buy. Now I swap between D'addario EXP & DR coateds.
    Definately well worth it IMO.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    same here, sweaty hands kill my strings but Elixirs last a long time for me.The DR coated strings didn't last any longer than regular strings the one time I used them. Never tried the D'addario coated strings. Didn't know they made them. I may have to give them a try because D'Addarios were my favorite non coated strings. But anyway, yes the Elixirs are worth hte money. You wil have to get used to the slippery feeling of the Elixirs. It took a few days for me to get used to the slipperyness but now I'm fine with it.