Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elixirs ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chaindog, Mar 6, 2003.

1. What's everybody's take on these things? Do they have less fret noise then a standard roundwound? And I've heard they feel 'slippery'; any truth to that?

I've used Boomers for years (mostly because of the price), have recently used SR2000's and Blue Steels. Any advice would be helpful before I drop $40+ on a set.

2. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    I have yet to thoroughly test these out, but being "slippery" is from the coating they put on them. not only are the now a little slippery, but thier tone is slightly dulled from this.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have used them from time to time and yes, they do fell slippery. The sound pretty good. But not my first choice for a string set.

4. patelt78

patelt78

Feb 24, 2003
    Save your money. The elixirs are fantastic for acoustic guitars. But, I didn't think they were worth the 40 dollars for the bass. Guitar strings "die" a lot quicker, and most people prefer a brighter tone. That's where elixirs are great.

5. Thanks. I think I'll stick to what I know works.

6. I've been using Elixirs exclusively for 5 years.

They are actually a bargain because they last a very long time. You save money in the long run.

Saves your fingers and your frets from excessive wear.

Advantages too numerous to list.

7. I use Elixirs on my Warwick Corvette ProLine. I tried Warwick Black Label (sound great for about a week), Ernie Ball (yuck!), and Blue Steels. I prefer the Elixirs because, a month old, they're brighter than a brand new Ernie Ball string (I know this because I broke the G and only had the EB string to replace it), they sound great, and they retain their very bright tone (for me) well past the one month mark. Every other string I've tried has gone dull within three weeks, usually two. I do shower large amounts of sweat on everything I touch during playing, so this probably has a lot to do with my ability to kill a string in 7 days.

One caveat, they DO NOT have less fret noise. In fact, the coating seems to make fret noise much more noticeable. With my technique (not saying it's great, just that it doesn't cause much fret noise), this isn't a problem but some players have complained at length about Elixirs "squeaking" when they slide.

--edit-- I have since renounced my Elixir ways and found that the Blue Steels I had tried on a previous bass were a terrible representation of Blue Steels on my current bass. I use Blue Steels now. Always. And with much joy.

8. Nanoweb coating - bright .

Polyweb coating - warm .

9. yeah... they are really good strings.... they will last forever, as wellas DR lo-riders(my favorites)... the elixers have the coating because the reason you break strings isnt because you are superman... its because the grease and oil and salt thats in your sweat causes the core to corrode .. the coating actually preventsd that frome getting to the core of the string.... i wish they made them for double bass though... over all they are a good string, they lack a little of the brightness, but they are the best strings for the price unless you have found strings that are free....

10. Are you using the Polyweb coating, IVIMudvayne? I've always used the Nanoweb and they're the brightest strings I've ever heard. Seriously, when I put the first set on I had to cut my treble frequencies by almost half to get rid of the searing brightness...

:confused:

11. yeah.... im just used to strings like DR Lo-Rodiers... i feel that through my bass the DR's are brighter and it also has to due with the tightness... the elixers just werent as tight on my bass as the DR's.... brightness is largely dependent on tension and the density of the strings... DR's are hex-core compression wound so they are really dense... the elixirs are just like regualr wound round strings, this is just my opinion, oh yeah my bass is a '98 Warwick Streamer Standard (no longer in production) :bassist: