Elk's Lodge gig w/ Midnight Confessions Band 8/18/17 (such a non-BassCliff gig)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mwbonsall, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Okay, I am stuck in the Arizona desert, horrible heat and the gigs are as dry as the sand this time of year. So, this is all I've got untill the snowbirds return and the winter villages fill up.

Second disclaimer, Russ doesn't know he is not supposed to wear shorts on a gig. But he is the bandleader so we can't fire him.

This was a very casual gig at the Buckhorn Elk's Lodge in Mesa. We have played here a few times before but I never bothered to post, such a non event compared to the recent epic gig reports by others here recently. Great older crowd and friendly staff, they really like us here and a fun place to play.

Front entrance:

elk1.JPG

Our name on the big marque:

sign.JPG

Load in:

elk2.JPG elk3.JPG elk4.JPG elk5.JPG

The set up:

elk6.JPG elk7.JPG elk8.JPG

It's a small place and low volume, so we place the mains behind us to cover both monitors and mains.

My Berg/Roscoe rig for the night:

rig.JPG

Some action shots, not a big crowd but not bad for this time of year.

dance1.JPG dance2.JPG dance3.JPG dance4.JPG dance5.JPG dance6.JPG

No food, just popcorn. 5 to 8 gig, home early, had fun making music again.

Thanks for taking a look.

Mark

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Looks like a fun gig

nixdad and mwbonsall like this.
  3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I’ve done a few of those. They’re a good time. Nice report too.

HolmeBass, nixdad and mwbonsall like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Mark!

I love critter lodge gigs! I love them for all the reasons you just shared. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice little gig Mark. I enjoy the low volume ones. Small crowds are ok as long as they are enjoying the music. Looks like yours was.

Thanks for sharing!

mwbonsall, HolmeBass and nixdad like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Wow! What a nice bass rig you have. Please tell me about your Bergantino stuff. Sometimes I think my GK stuff is so low end. If I need a tax write-off maybe I'll buy some new gear. ;)

Do both our your guitar players take turns on keys too? How cool is that!

BassCliff

mwbonsall, nixdad and MrLenny1 like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You got folks up dancing. That, in my book, makes it a great gig.
    Thanks for sharing a nice simple drama-free band night.

mwbonsall, nixdad and Bunk McNulty like this.
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I've done lots of Elk gigs ( even had the 11 o'clock toast memorized at the time)-
    Not sure if an elk is a critter:laugh:

Raccoon or beaver:beaver:--- definite critter. Actually some of my gin mill gigs were attended by 2 legged critters:bassist:

mwbonsall and nixdad like this.
  9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Last time I played a hall like this was the Watertown MA VFW, and it was a party for the Boston Women's Rugby Club. There were moments when I feared for my life. :D

mwbonsall, HolmeBass, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  10. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Careful... those rugby folks can be uh, a bit.. boisterous. :woot:

mwbonsall, Bunk McNulty and nixdad like this.
  11. kwdhsk

kwdhsk Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Southport, NC
    Thanks for your writeup. I realize how much work it is to document all the steps with pictures and comments. Interestingly, my band played a local (Oak Island, NC) Elks Lodge last night. We didn't know what to expect since this was a new gig location, but it was actually a lot of fun. Lots of dancing, which always makes the gig more enjoyable. We had to turn down our normal rock and roll volume, but I actually liked the lower volume since I could hear myself much better and we were still balanced.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Perhaps it's just in my circles where Elk, Moose, Eagles lodges, etc, all get affectionately covered by the term "critter lodge". They are usually full of folks older than I who want to party and dance the night away. They are good gigs.

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, john m, mwbonsall and 3 others like this.
  13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    "Critter lodge"... haha!!!

mwbonsall, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Nice rig & axe.
    Great SW weather also.

mwbonsall and nixdad like this.
  15. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Are those 2 x NV115's? Love mine. Have to try that amp soon. Thanks for the post.

Sore Thumb and mwbonsall like this.
  16. Mark no gig is too small to share with us. Thanks for sharing I have a Elks out-door thing coming up in September :)

Sore Thumb, McG, mwbonsall and 2 others like this.
  17. mwbonsall

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    It really was, I enjoyed it.

Thank You.

Thanks Cliff. Not quite as epic as playing for 'The Mouse', but I'll take it.

The small crowd was great. They are a very loyal bunch of people.

You're welcome. This is my second year with these guys, so blessed to find a drama free fun band.

Thanks MrLenny. Not bad weather for August, only around 105. But, it's supposed to cool off in November...

Good luck with your 'Elk Thing', be careful!

Mark

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    McG likes this.
  18. mwbonsall

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    The Bergantino gear is great stuff. But GK makes great gear also. There is so much new gear for us bass players right now. If you get a chance take a listen to some Berg gear, it all sounds great. I really like these NV115's with the B|AMP. The amp is in a league of its own.

This is a very unique band for me, never had two guys that played both guitar and keys. They each play whatever is needed, and cover most of the cool horn, harmonica, string, B3 parts that usually get left out.

Glad you had a good experience with the Elk also! The lower volume is great. Like you said it is nice to hear yourself and each other.

Yes. Had them for a couple of years and love them. I picked the B|AMP a few months ago and wow, just wow. You have to try one.

Mark

nbsipics, McG, kwdhsk and 1 other person like this.
  19. mwbonsall

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I remember the 11:00 toast! Forgot about that. Now all the gigs are over by 9 or 10 so they never say it.

Mark

20. I like the name on the kit! Looks great in the light.
    Excellent

mwbonsall likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021