Ellington and bass solos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Reinaldo, Mar 20, 2002.

1. In a Gary Giddins article about the JVC Festival (Village Voice, Juky 11/17/2001) he talks about the Keith Jarrett concert : "...and a constant regimen of Peacock solos that reminded me of Ellington comparison of bass solos to TV commercials. Alas,no remote." Does anyone know this Ellington complete quotation? BTW, I also feel that,sometimes,some bass players make the mistake of oversoloing...
  2. No, the "Alas, no remote" joke was a Giddins (year 2001) thing. Ellington just made the comparison to TV commercials, or at least, Giddins said he did that...And, of course, if a long solo is good, is not an oversolo.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Duke featured the hell out of Jimmy Blanton. Maybe Duke had a thing for advertising?
  4. A quick search on "Google" reveals that the TV remote was invented in the early 1950s (http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story061.htm - isn't the InterNet wonderful!) - so I suppose the story could be true, and not just one of those "Urban Legends" which seem to abound...
    - damned funny though... :>

- Wil
  5. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    guys this should be framed:
  6. I agree that an empty ,or an "oversolo", is not the privilege of us, bass players.But I feel that a bass solo is more challenging than, say, a trumpet or piano solo... Anyway, my point was the Ellington comment (obviously a joke) . What was the context?...
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh yeah? You should hear me play trumpet! Bass is a breeze!
  8. Great. You guys are very funny. Really. It´s not irony.It´s a compliment. This is the best bass forum to be in...Of course, Ellington liked his bassists solos. But my point here is exactly this: Ellington´s sense of humour.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I picked up a trumpet just last week, with the intention of dinkin' around on it for laughs (I was a trumpet major in college, back in the day). It was very humbling. I put it back down, quickly. Bass is indeed a breeze.