1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ellington and bass solos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Reinaldo, Mar 20, 2002.

1. In a Gary Giddins article about the JVC Festival (Village Voice, Juky 11/17/2001) he talks about the Keith Jarrett concert : "...and a constant regimen of Peacock solos that reminded me of Ellington comparison of bass solos to TV commercials. Alas,no remote." Does anyone know this Ellington complete quotation? BTW, I also feel that,sometimes,some bass players make the mistake of oversoloing...

2. No, the "Alas, no remote" joke was a Giddins (year 2001) thing. Ellington just made the comparison to TV commercials, or at least, Giddins said he did that...And, of course, if a long solo is good, is not an oversolo.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Duke featured the hell out of Jimmy Blanton. Maybe Duke had a thing for advertising?

4. A quick search on "Google" reveals that the TV remote was invented in the early 1950s (http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story061.htm - isn't the InterNet wonderful!) - so I suppose the story could be true, and not just one of those "Urban Legends" which seem to abound...
    - damned funny though... :>

- Wil

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    guys this should be framed:

6. I agree that an empty ,or an "oversolo", is not the privilege of us, bass players.But I feel that a bass solo is more challenging than, say, a trumpet or piano solo... Anyway, my point was the Ellington comment (obviously a joke) . What was the context?...

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh yeah? You should hear me play trumpet! Bass is a breeze!

8. Great. You guys are very funny. Really. It´s not irony.It´s a compliment. This is the best bass forum to be in...Of course, Ellington liked his bassists solos. But my point here is exactly this: Ellington´s sense of humour.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I picked up a trumpet just last week, with the intention of dinkin' around on it for laughs (I was a trumpet major in college, back in the day). It was very humbling. I put it back down, quickly. Bass is indeed a breeze.