Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elm wood ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Marcelo, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Marcelo

Marcelo

Jan 3, 2004
    Could you give me more information about elm wood and what is better, basswood or elm?

tks
    MArcelo

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Elm is far heavier than basswood. There are different types of elm, also. Elm is not really a timber of commerce in the US, but it is a worthy wood. Elm is tough and stringy, kind of like ash. Basswood is light and brittle, kind of like soft maple. Each could be used for different parts of a bass guitar, but I'd hate to see an elm body with a basswood neck!

3. Marcelo

Marcelo

Jan 3, 2004
    Woodboy, thank you!

4. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    OLP makes their Stingray copies from Basswood if you get a solid colour, or in Elm if you want a natuaral finish. I take that to mean that they sound similar, but Elm is prettier. I have the Elm one, and am very satisfied with the wood. (The electronics on the other hand...)

5. I've seen pictures of Carpathian Elm Burl and it looks awesome!!

Cheers Rody

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You shouldn't!
    Remember that the older Leo company always used alder for painted bodies and ash for natural. They do have a different impact on sound, indeed (qualitywise, not so much in quantity).

Elm has similarities to ash, tonewise, but seems to be alittle less sharp. Still tonewise...

7. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Good to know, thanks!