Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick #3: New (To Me) Elrick Classic Singlecut Fretted Six-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I recently picked up this beauty from a fellow Tber, VintageBT6lover, who I should mention is a great guy to deal with and was able to get the bass to me before a trip to New Hampshire. I’d also like to thank Tber gruuv for his help-gruuv was the original owner of this Elrick, so he aided me in answering lots of boring questions about this bass. This is the second Elrick that gruuv used to own that I now own and the third total Elrick singlecut that I own that belonged to at least two other Tbers- I adopt them all :D

Here are the specs:
    Elrick Classic singlecut fretted six-string
    36” scale
    Mandolin frets
    Maple burl top
    Mahogany body
    Three-piece maple neck
    Cocobolo fretboard
    Alder tone block
    Walnut veneers
    Zero fret
    Removable pink ivorywood radiused ramp (temp. until I have a cocobolo one made to size)
    Bartolini P4 soapbars
    Bartolini NTMB 3-band preamp
    Hipshot hardware
    19mm spacing at the bridge

[​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had some reservations about getting this bass for a couple reasons.
    1. The 36” scale. I’m fully used to 35”, but I thought 36” might be too much for my small hands.

2. Weight. I’d gotten used to the weight of my 7-8 lb. Elricks, and I was a bit concerned because the owner told me this one weighed between 11 and 12 lbs. because it’s a mahogany-bodied six-string. I don’t mind heavy basses- I’ve owned several that were 12 lbs and over, but after getting an inguinal hernia last year I have to be more careful with how much weight I carry for long periods of time.

3. Tone of the G and C strings. Extra long scale basses can help with the B and E, but I’ve read that it can lead to a twangy or guitar-like G and C strings, which would be bad because I was looking for a six where the C string sounds like a slightly cleaner G string; of my extended range basses I’ve had in the past, the C was a little thin, and I wanted a meaty C.

4. Based on my experience owning a Classic body style Elrick and an e-volution body style Elrick, I greatly prefer the bullnose radiusing of the e-volution. Both are comfy, but the more rounder edges of the e-volution feel better against my chest, as I wear my basses fairly high. The angle of the lower horn on the Classic (sharper curve than the e-volution) doesn’t bother me as it does some other folks because my legs aren’t too wide, and I almost always play with a strap anyways.

I went for it anyways. The only thing left on my GAS list was an Elrick e-volution singlecut with soapbars, so I figured this is as close as I’ll get on the used market.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The results to my aforementioned worries:
    1. The 36” is no problem at all, so far anyways. I really didn’t notice a difference at all in stretch, except in the upper register where it requires a little more stretching to finger chords spanning six or so frets across several strings and a little more stretch in first position.

In addition, this bass has by far the tightest B I’ve ever played. I’m not picky about B strings- even a warbly one can be useful if you play it with a light touch. I’ve also held that scale length is only part of what gives a tight B; my old Hill Custom had a 34” scale and had an even tighter B than my 35” Elricks. But I guess the 36” added up to something, because this one is extremely clear and defined, far more so than any other B I‘ve played. Not that I even need it to be, but it’s pretty cool that it is.

2. The weight doesn’t seem to be an issue at all. It’s about 11lbs, but it seems like a “light” 11lbs. It probably feels this way because there is no neck dive whatsoever-it feels and plays just like my lightweight Elricks. I’ve played with it strapped on for a little over an hour straight, and I had no pain down below (I also use Comfort Strapps, which keep basses feeling light on my shoulders).

3. A meaty C! Acoustically the G and C are not thin at all, and plugged in they keep their thickness and can sound even more full using the pickup blend or the bass’ EQ. The 36” didn’t thin them out, although they did make them and all of the other strings a little more tense, which is something I’ll have to get used to. I’ll be adjusting the relief in a day or two (lost my allen wrench) so I can lower the action to where I prefer it, which will alleviate a little bit of the tense feel.

4. The Classic shape on this one is nice and rounded. My singlecut fretless with the Classic shape in an older bass- it was made in ‘99 and was one of Elrick’s early singlecuts. This bass was made two years later, and feels more smooth at the edges- more akin to my e-volution. Not perfect, but very comfy nonetheless.

The electronics of this bass seem to work very well with the bass’ physical properties, as in they fit the woods and can get a lot of usable versatility from them. Big EQ shifts often end up with unusable tones- for example, I can’t turn the knobs any which way on my Elrick fretless and still expect to get a great sound- but the six can get a good tone with almost any EQ setting, with the exception of going too high on the treble (I’ve found the treble on Bart 3-bands to sound too bright in higher settings). So I’m really diggin’ the fingerstyle tone, and the slap sound is fantastic. I’m not a big fan of the Marcus-style slap tone- I prefer a beefier, more middy one, and I can get just what I want with this one. Of course, that extra C string will take a lot of getting used to for popping; I usually use my index for popping the D string and middle for popping the G, so I’ll have to adjust my technique…I don’t even remember how I slapped on my old seven-string at this point.

The bass has a neck very similar to the neck on my e-volution five-string; a good thickness with full string spacing- 19mm at the bridge and about 2 and 3/16s” at the string retainer. It has advantages and disadvantages. The wide spacing allows for easy slapping and I can play it the exact way I play my other fretted, as opposed to having to adopt a different technique for the six. The disadvantage is that it’s not as zoomy-fast as the neck on my fretless, which is a little thinner front-to-back and a bit narrower at the nut (the neck on the fretless is not standard Elrick, although I think it may be the perfect neck size/width for me).

The main obstacle now is getting used to an extended range bass again- wider neck, more strings to cross, more muting, etc. I’m having a hell of a time trying to double thump without getting extra noise. Hopefully that will all go well. I’m very happy with my new bass. J

I also have made a couple of small sound clips if anyone wants to hear them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice bass,i dream with a 36 scale bass in my hands some day..... :bassist:

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Congrats! Its a beauty!

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    is miss universe made Bass :p

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well if you got soundclips of course we want to hear them! :D

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Ya I want to hear dem!

10. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Bryan,

Glad it's working out for you. . . she is definitely one of the most unique basses I've been fortunate enough to own, or even play for that matter. Also glad that you found some of my input to be helpful; I couldn't remember everything, but I definitely remember that a weak C that bass did NOT have! Very full tonally from top to bottom.

Oh, and Tumbao is correct, the top is actually maple burl. . .

:bassist:

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, cool. The zigzaggy portions and the darker overall color had made me think myrtle.

13. Could it be....the Mother of All Elricks??!! :eek:

Really looks like a beautiful instrument Bryan.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think you put up the same track for all three clips.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Fixed.
    Thanks for pointing that out- they were all the same and none of them were even of this bass :meh: :D

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats!

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm guessing you've posted pics - they don't load for me - and also your sound clips won't load either. :meh:

Nothing better than a new Elrick!

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They're working for me and seem to be working for everyone else- they're hosted from my website. Odd :meh: but thanks nonetheless!

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh well. I guess I'll just have to guess what it sounds like. ;)

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That's beautiful man. If you don't mind, how much did it set you back? You can PM me if need be :D Congrats though, on a beaut!

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    AWESOME!!!!

:hyper: