1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Elrick 5 string single cutaway....Bartolini pre or Aguilar pre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandinstroy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    I just picked up an elrick 5 single cutaway and I definitely like the bass.
    What do the people here on TB say about the preamp options. Stay with the bart pre or go a different route. IF you say aguilar which on...3 band or 2 band.

What are the tonal differences between the two in elrick basses.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go with an aguilar 3 band, not sure how an elrick would sound with em since i have never A-B'd em.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Actually, I think you have. My buckeye singlecut has an Aggie 3-band, while the fretless five and fretted six-string had Bart 3-bands.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Aguilar!

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I'm not a fan of how the bart 3-band handles treble and bass freqs, but i like the frequencies on the Mid freq selector much better than on the Aguilar. That boost/cut at 250 or so REALLY solves alot of probs for me where as i don't touch the 400/800hz switch on the aggies.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ash Elricks tend to be pretty middy basses- if you want more bottom end, the Aggie definitely has it, at least based on my Elrick singlecuts. It can also give brighter highs. I still prefer the Bart preamp a bit because in general it's a bit smoother, and caters to the mids that most of my Elricks have really well. It certainly has a good bass boost as well, although it's not as darkly deep as the Aggie. Altogether though they're not that drastically different, but that could all depend on your particular bass. I've found that different pickup voicings have a much bigger impact, and I don't just mean pickup brand. The Bartolini P25CB soapbars sound a lot different than the Bartolini P25C soapbars.

Haven't tried an Aguilar 2-band though, so I can't comment on that.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    BTW, post a pic of your Elrick!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In that case.. :) heh

9. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The elrick is the on that used to belong to a few TBer's on here. It originally belonged to Joker.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The one that last belonged to grooveguru? Man, I offered to buy it from him five months back and he said no way :mad: :p

11. DSCF0109.

I kinda regret trading it now...:(

But I have a Stambaugh on order so it's all good :)

Wait, GrooveGuru still has it...doesn't he?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    May I suggest another option? Check out the Audere preamps. www.audereaudio.com. The clarity is the best I've experienced from any preamp and the eq points are dead on. I really can't say enough about how much I like this preamp.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks like he doesn't anymore.

14. Man, that bass must be cursed or something :p

15. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    emjazz, i have thought about that pre...i just havent heard enough about that pre to make a jump on it. Can you tell me about this pre. what do you like about it and what dont you like about it.

Bryan, yes this bass used to belong to grooveguru. I guess I came at the right time for him to say yes.

I have thought about going with the OBP-1 with a passive tone control. what do you guys think about that?

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Search for Audere in the pickups section here. There's a thread there that goes into some detail on my thoughts. I will say though that I'm now bypassing the preamp in my amplifier and just going into the power section. I'm now getting the best sound I've ever gotten in 14 years of playing. I have the 4 band pre. I highly recommend it. I never thought I'd need a 4 band but it's amazing. The eq points for the low and high mids are perfect and more useful than I ever could've imagined.

17. I have no idea what the Aguilar would sound like, but if it were me, I would just keep the Bart setup in there because that bass sounded killer as is (when I had it).

18. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I will probably try some different strings on it.

19. brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    After a few weeks with the bass I have decided to let it go.
    Anyone out there looking for a great bass? I am more of a j bass guy.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The bass is[/] cursed! :D

Sorry, don't have a J bass for it- I've got a bolt-on Elrick with J pickups though ;)