Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick 6 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    I've got a question for you, you all great bass tech.
    What if I lower down the tuning on my Elrick using a F#BEADG instead of a normal BEADGC?
    Someone has made it?
    thanks

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    If you do this with the strings that are on it already, you will end up with 6 floppy strings and by most accounts a relatively unplayable bass.

If you do this by changing your strings and using a significantly heavier guage:

1. You'll probably ruin your nut (You may not be able to go back without a new nut).
    2. You might have to modify your bridge.
    3. You might cause a twist or other problem in your neck because of the added tension.
    4. Depending on your rig, you might have trouble reproducing the lower notes. Many amps and speakers tend to struggle with a low B, let alone notes played below the B.

If you're willing to risk the consequences, give it a try and let us know how it goes. I changed the string guages and tuning on my first bass from EADG to BEAD and had to drill the hole out a bit in my bridge to accomodate the fatter B string, my nut ended up with all the slots widened to the point that going back to EADG caused tremendous rattle at the nut, my neck got a wee bit of a twist, and my cheap 112 combo didn't fare so well with the low notes. This was all on a $150 Squier P-Bass. I don't recommend trying this on a $1500 Elrick. (Maybe I'm off on the price of an Elrick, but adding a zero to a price for emphasis on contrast is fun. :))

Jake