Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick 7, First Post-Gig Impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Feb 15, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Played three sets in a small bar last night with the bass pictured below. Strung up with Ken Smith Custom Balance Tapercore MD-7's. The rig was an SWR Goliath Sr. powered by a QSC 1602. The preamp was an Ampeg SVP Pro. The room is wide with a low ceiling and carpet with pool tables and tables between the band area and bar. No stage, set up right on the rug in the corner (this ain't the big time!)

Anyway, despite the amazing light weight of this instrument (not only the lightest 7 I've ever held, possibly the lightest bass, period), the most prominent feature was its upper register strength and clarity. The low end was solid if unspectacular but the top end, as evidenced during solos and chord sequences, was pretty startling. The onboard preamp is an Aguilar DBP3 and it has a rather low output but a very sort of ringing clarity in the upper registers. One is tempted to call it "sweet." Yeah, I'd say sweet.

I like this bass much better after a gig than just sitting around the house dinking around on it. And that's a good thing. So much so, in fact, that I'm postponing gigging with my new Conklin Sidewinder and taking the Elrick out again tonight for another club gig. Really anxious to hear it with a different cab, in this case, the Epifani T-310.

The light weight of this bass and top end tone really has me enamoured.

How does it stack up to my other sevens right now? Well, it can't touch the Roscoe or the Hanewinckel for low-end grunt and solidity. And the neck is rather chunky and nowhere near as fast as the Hanewinckel. We'll see how the Conklin works out but, for now, nothing with the Elrick makes me change my mind about the Hanewinckel: it rules my bass world!

[​IMG]

2. Thanks for the report from your gig sounds like you had a great time will the Elrick.

Congratulations

Matthew

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Matthew. Yeah, it was good. I got this bass very cheap and it's quite beautiful. I spent two weeks working on setup as it had spent its whole life in a vastly different climate than where I live (Chicago vs. Southern Cali). Besides dressing all the fret edges, I had to adjust both truss rods several times, not to mention the bridge saddles and even pickup height. It's just like I like it now and definitely rewarded my efforts last night.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Great report, Boogie! I really was looking forward to hearing about the Conklin, though. Your reports are probably the best reviews of basses I've read! I'm almost tempted to send you a few of mine to have you review them, but it would mostly be 4s.
    Glad to hear you're pleased with your new toys! This one really is beautiful!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks! The "Conklin Report" will arrive on March 2. Stay tuned.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno...maybe I'm a little confused, but it sounded as if you were praising the Elrick in some sentences, but saying it was *blah* in comparison to the Hane.

Was I correct in how I read that review?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Further proving you don't need the Roscoe 7.... :D :D

Good to hear that about the Elrick. When you said the low end was "solid if unspectacular," were you refering to it's overall character, it's beef, or what? Was it just "there" but bland? Or was it present, but only a tolken as such (like a few basses I've met)? Low end is something I'm always curious about.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Or maybe I didn't do a good job of articulating my impressions? I was attempting to point out the strengths and weaknesses of the Elrick and compare it to my other sevens. So yes, in some areas (low end, for instance), it didn't measure up to the Roscoe and the Hanewinckel. In other areas (e.g. high end), it was better. I've posted an adendum below after playing the Elrick on another gig last night with a different cab.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I would say that the overall character of the Elrick low end was solid (meaning=good and present) but not stunning like the Roscoe and the Hanewinckel. I would not go so far as to call it "bland." Unspectacular seemed like a good description. Here's a followup after last night's gig:

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A CAB MAKES!

The Elrick impressed me much more, especially in the crucial "groove" area (i.e. low and low mids) through the Epifani T-310 as opposed to the SWR Goliath Sr. Amplification was the same, QSC1606 and SVP Pro. Room was about the same, small bar/restaurant (Hennessey's Tavern in Carlsbad, CA). Through the Epi, the low end had more authority and heft but the top end also stayed clean and clear. Another modification I made prior to last night's gig was to swap out the Smith Tapercore Stainless Steel string with conventional D'Addario Nickel XL's. I was continuing to have some problems with the low action and the conventional strings rode a little higher on the bridge. Of course, this affected the tone, too. The combination of the Epi cab and the nickel strings really warmed things up!

Slap tone is really exceptional on this bass--bright and articulate but with a good meaty body to it. Another side note is that my drummer and guitarist seem really taken with this bass and made numerous positive comments on it all night, even to the point of talking about it over the mic and urging me to solo constantly. I took way more solos than normal which is not always a good thing. Crowd seemed to dig it, though.

So where am I at with the Elrick? Well, I think it's unique among my sevens. As I stated early, it's crazy light. It's well-balanced tone-wise and it has a killer top end. The neck is good but not particularly fast and it is a bit chunky. So playability is downgraded a little for that but it's really about the same as the Roscoe in that regard with a bit more front-to-back depth. The Hanewinckel neck is WAY superior. And the Elrick is showy and draws attention to itself on a gig, not necessarily a bad thing. Bottom line: super nice seven. I'm keeping it...for now.

;)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great review, bb.

I know for me, it sometimes takes a little bit to get used to a thicker neck. I've grown to love some fairly chunky necks after getting acclimated to them.

I too have been blown away by the weight of the Elricks and the sound that I normally wouldn't associate with a bass that light. My 4 actually feels like it could float out of my hands... but the sound weighs a ton.

Congrats and hope it continues to work out for you. Sweet bass.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Brad. You're right about the neck and weight issues. I plan on keeping this around and, who knows, may even ending up preferring it in the long run!