Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 15, 2003.

1. I have been looking around at some basses. I am looking for a good 5-sting. I will probably go used because it seems I always get the most for my money that way. I was seeing some Elrick Gold Standard 5-stings around used for some very reasonable prices. they don't have anything real fancy in the wood tops but I am looking for something more simple and just classy looking. I was also looking at some Roscoes, which I have played before. can anyone tell me some about the Elricks and how they might compare? or if there is anything else you have seen around that I might conisder. thanks.

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    How much you looking to spend?

3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Both the Roscoe and the Elrick that are for sale are nice...but I would go with the Elrick!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in terms of neck-thru construction, there are very few bass makers that can compete with the value that Rob Elrick offers.

Roscoes are one of the cooler sounding bolt on basses i've heard, and Keith is as nice as they come.

either one is great, just depends on what you're after.

5. I like the looks of the roscoe and have played one so know what they are going to sound like. but I have never had any expiearence with the elrick. could anyone describe their differences in tone. it looks like the elrick might have more tone options, but I have always like the huge sound that roscoes have.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    The Elrick Gold Standard is Plain when it comes to the wood finish and what not.. but theres nothing really plain about the tone and feel of these basses. I play a Gold Standard 5-string and its the only bass I use.. I love it,

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, not all of them. I wouldn't call this Gold Standard top "plain" by any means and the board is pretty "un-plain," too. ;)

[​IMG]

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've got a Neck-through 6, with a wenge neck and swamp ash body, and bart jazz pickups.

I can get anything from a modern mtd-ish sound, a big fat dubby sound, to the punchy mid heavy "fender jazz w/ solo'd bridge pickup" sound. I've never had a chance to play a roscoe, but you can get near any sound out of the elrick.

The one that's for sale is probaly about as good of a price you can get short of getting lucky on ebay.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    given the Roscoe's usual bolt on construction, soapbar pickups, etc., they have a modern-ish, punchie, hifi sound to 'em. "piano" like clarity comes to mind.

elrick's on the other hand ran the gamut, with all the different construction methods, pickups, and wood choices.

FYI, my Elrick, single cut, neck-thru, maple neck, macassar ebony fingerboard, swamp ash winged, walnut top, bart jazz pickups, bart preamp'ed 5 string bass has a naturally sweet yet growly prominent midrange that has an open airy top end, while supported by a tight and punchie low end.

but sometimes, i do find myself adding a bit more bass to fill out the sound, while also adding some upper mids to cut thru the thick sounding mids, and cutting the trebs to alleviate the overly airy voice.