Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick: Differences between classic and NJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    The title says it all ...
    Give me some info ..
    Thanks

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Different body shaps. The NJS stands for new jazz standard, and has horns somewhat resembling the classic jazz-style body, as well as a jazz-style in-line control layout and an odd-looking four-straight or four plus one jazz-with-a-bite-taken-out-of-it headstock. The classic is the "classic" Elrick shape, with the curved horns and control lineup, with a small headstock. Other than that, it's all options, as Elrick will do either in bolt-on, neck-through, or singlecut versions, and even pickup arrangement (Mark Beem's Elrick NJS has a single humbucker).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There is also the e-Volution model, which is like the Classic but with a less exagerated curve to the control lineup and lower horn.

4. I like the top one better. Get the extended scale length-36". I would get passive single coils and bolt-on neck. Beautiful.

5. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    What about the tones?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    36"? NO thank you :) The standard 35" is perfect-if it wasn't, Rob Elrick would have made the 36" his standard. He saves it for those tall guys ;) I'd be willing to bet that the 34" doesn't sound bad either.

Brad Johnson will probably post later-he has both classic and NJS Elricks, so he could tell you the tone difference. I imagine it's not a straight-forward comparison though, as like I said, you can have in just the Classic style bolt-on, neck-through, semi-hollow, single coil pups, humbuckers, differnt body, neck, and fingerboard woods, etc.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All of the standard Bartolini pickups offered by Rob are passive.

I have all three models including a singlecut. With the Bart J pickups they all have the same vibe, a very distinctive sound. Some of the best playing basses I've ever played or owned. The NJS comes in two styles, the 24 fret having a deeper lower horn cut, which I prefer.

While there are options, depending on what you want, to get the standard Elrick sound I wouldn't stray from the Bart J/Bart preamp combo. I've heard Aguilar OBP-3 installs and they weren't close to being as nice as anything I have. I've also tried them with soapbars (some with coil taps). Nice but for me unnecessary. IMO Rob nailed it with his basic package, if it ain't broke...;)

My advice, as it is with just about any bass of this ilk is to buy it for what it is, not experiment in the hope of making it "better". Elricks kick ass right out of the gate.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got soapbars on mine and an Aggie preamp :D Bought it used though so the options weren't mine. I like the soapbars (except for the popping room they take up), but I think I'd prefer the Bart 3-band, which I've had in two other basses and liked a lot. Don't know how much it would cost to have them switched anyways.

9. I think less is more. WOuld love to hear sound clip of your bolt-on.

I would think the best sound would be without the preamp. I hold the minority view on active electronics. But I am sure the bart preamp sounds good, it is just an issue with necessity for me. I don't like a bunch of pots on such an aswesome, handcrafted bass. I think these onboard preamps date the instrument. In 10 years, that circuit will be gutted and scraped for the pre amp de jour.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I agree.. Mine has the best passive tone I've ever heard!! I actually prefer it over the active tone.

[​IMG]

11. Awesome lines. I like the finger board, too. There is some dude from singapore with a thread entitled "gloss or satin". You should post that pic because he is thinking about putting a satin finsih, rather than gloss on a flamed koa top. He even wants to put GOLD hardware. yuk. Looks similiar in shape to the one he is having built.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mark's bass has a satin/natural finish on it. Most Elricks do.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Aggie/soapbar thing is just my opinion;)

Here are mine:

[​IMG]

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yep... it's actually a wax finish.

15. I have one that's painted silver. Not sure if it's a Classic or an Evolution. It's been around the block a few times, but I dig it.
    [​IMG]

16. I love the shape of the classic. Such awesome lines- the upper hornand the headstock or so cool, yet understated.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yours is a Classic, Jerome. The easiest way to tell is if you put them completely horizontal, the first knob on a Classic model doesn't line up at all with the last knob, while on an e-Volution the first and last knob would collide a little if on the same line.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's not an E-vo, the lower horn has a less pronounced curvature than yours.

I remember that bass being in Massachusetts a while back. A rare painted Elrick.

19. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    My elrick has soaps, and im digging the tone, but im wondering how a demeter pre would sound in it. I also would kind of like to have coil taps on it so i could have an even larger tonal palette. Even if i dont change anything, i gotta say, elricks ROCK!

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    BTW, it's cool that you picked that one up, Jerome. It's been floating around online for a while, and it was an awesome deal at the last price I saw it listed.