Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ekohen, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ekohen

ekohen

Aug 31, 2004
    Detroit
    I picked up an Elrick Hybrid 5 a few months ago and it really smokes! Only issue for me is the string spacing is a little wider then I like, my main bass is 2 9/16 at the bridge and this is a more typical 2 3/4. Now today I run into the original owner and He would like to buy it back. I would be willing to do so if I could find a suitable replacement. Not alot of high end stuff in my area to try out so I'm looking for suggestions.
    My needs are very low action, narrow string spacing, and of course great tone. I do hard core fusion and pop.
    Any advice out there.
    Ed

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Ken Smith...more narrow string spacing than an Elrick
    Nordstrand (he'll make you whatever you want)
    Stambaugh
    Benevente
    Fodera
    ***insert your favorite high-end luthier here****

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    My main two basses are a Roscoe LG-3005 and an Elrick gold series 5. The string spacing at the bridge on my the Elrick is 3" and the Roscoe is 2 3/4". I guess I thought that all 5 string Elricks were 3" at the bridge (3/4" string to string spacing). Maybe your Elrick is a custom job. Either way my recommendation would be to either replace the bridge with a Hip Shot Type A or ABM with adjustable string spacing or check out a Roscoe 3005. About the only complaint that I here from other TB'ers on the Roscoe is too tight string spacing. I prefer the 11/16" string spacing. The Roscoe would probably be just what you're looking for. As much as I love my Elrick, my Roscoe gets most of the playing time. Both great basses though.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I agree, why give up a sweet bass that you really like when all it would take is a new bridge with adjustable string spacing to make it just right for you. It's a relative easy and inexpensive modification.

Peace.