Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick Evolution series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayJay, May 1, 2003.

1. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hi,

I was looking for more descriptions/info of the new evolution series of basses made by Elrick but could not find any on the company web site. A search of the forum also return not much info.

Any of you own the new evolution basses? Can you post pics of them here and any other info that may help.

IMO, I find the new evo body shape nicer than the classic gold standard shape. What's your take.

What are your take on Elrick basses?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm personally a huge fan of Elrick basses. I've played a few Evolution basses (built in the US) and thought they were great! They're really just a variation on the original style.

As for my preference, when sitting, the Evolution digs into my thigh very little, compared to the original body style.

Rob Elrick really knows how to build an excellent bass!:D

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Here is the website address. Unfortunately, Rob is not as good at keeping his web page up as he is at building basses. Also, he doesn't answer emails. I don't think these things are necessarily neglect so much as he just concentrates more of cranking out these great basses.

I have been playing a 1999 Platinum Standard 5 string for a couple of years and like it a lot. Never once did I notice the lower horn digging into my leg until someone here on TB mentioned it. Sure enough it does dig a little but not bad at all. I guess if you have fat legs it would be worse.

The one thing I do wish for is an owners manual for my bass. I have no idea what all the knobs and switches do, all I do is crank around on them until I get the right sound.

http://www.elrick.com/files/elrick2.html

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I have an E-Volution 4 string bolt on w/alder/buckeye/ebony board. Friggin' GREAT bass! Only thing I'm not enthralled with is the Bart pickups and preamp. I might get some custom J hum cancelling pickups and OBP-3 preamp installed. The bass itself really is one of those "special" basses that nearly plays itself.

5. The controls are volume, balance, treble, midrange, and bass (or maybe bass, midrange, and treble--I forget). The two switches are for going between active and passive mode (the 2-position switch), and for changing the frequency of the midrange control (the 3-position switch). It's a pretty standard Bartolini setup.

Mike

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The 3 position mid-selector is for frequencies of 250 Hz, 500 Hz, and 800 Hz.

7. I once played an Elrick in a music store that was very nice. It had a wenge neck, which definately gave it some growl. But the next thing I picked up was an F Bass which I though completely blew the elrick away in terms of sound. Then again, that just means I personally liked the sound of the F Bass more. They were completely different basses.

8. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Thanks for all your replies. I think Elrick basses are great and light.

But are the Evolution basses bolt-on? I thought I saw some of them being neck-thru. And what are the variations on them, like the platinum series etc..

Oh Nanook, do you have a pic of your platinum 5?

J

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Gold" and "Platinum" are no longer being used by Elrick. And, yes, Evolution comes in a neck-through...and, even can get a single-cut!:D

10. Basically, "Evolution" refers to the newer body shape, which is slightly less rounded and has a less curving lower horn than the original shape. As far as I know, all the varieties that were available with the original shape--bolt on, hybrid, neck through, and single cutaway--are available in with the Evolution body as well.

It would be nice to get an update on the Elrick page to clarify whatever the current naming scheme is, though.

Mike

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my Betsy has been nothin' but love.

Neckthru 5 in swamp ash, crotch walnut top, maccassar ebony board.

[​IMG]

12. Great basses.

[​IMG]

My fretted 5 neck through is wenge/wenge neck with Tasmanian rose myrtle on alder for the body wings & back. Big, deep sound and plays like a dream.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My singlecut fretless 5 is lined ebony on maple neck with a maple burl top on alder body. The low C and D on this bass ring sweet and clear & sustain for ever.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Beautiful, Jonathan! I haven't seen many neck-through Elricks with wenge necks.

Mike

14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Does anybody know what the recommended body care/wax is? I also would like to know what to put on the pink ivorywood board. Too bad we can't talk to Rob, but I've called and you have to go through a middle-man who doesn't seem to know much. :mad:

I can't say enough good things about my Elrick, it's definitely my favorite fretless bass.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

:eek:
    now _that_ is sweet

16. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Now Jon, those basses of yours are killers!!

It's really a pity that Elrick basses are not getting the attention that the Roscoes and MTDs are getting.

Really tempted to order my Elrick Evolution 5 now.

Any more great pics of Elrick Basses are most welcome ;)

J

17. Rob's a great builder. His woodworking skills are exceptional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a bit less communicative than some other folks, and I suspect he can get distracted easily. On this one, which is a magnificent bass, he sent it out without installing the straplocks (just drilled holes) and no setup. No big deal, it's perfect in all other regards, but I don't think Mike T or Keith Roscoe would ever do that.

Mike T advises Butchers (also known as bowling alley wax) wax for the body and Dunlop deep penetrating fingerboard oil. That seems to work pretty well on the Elricks, too.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Aloha,

Jonathan

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I still have three Elricks and one is an E-Vo 4. Excellent bass, as is my singlecut 5. My semihollow NJS fretless 5 is phenomenal IMO.

From left to right: Spalted Maple on Ash fretless SC5, Spuce on Mahogany semihollow NJS fretless 5, Crotch Walnut on Ash E-Volution 4.

I've talked to Rob a few times, he's been very approachable and helpful.

[​IMG]

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Brad, maybe I should have bought a new Elrick to get Rob's number :D BTW, I finally made it in to Atomic Music on Thursday, an interesting place. The CD shop next real yielded some finds as well. Thanks for the info Johathan. I can use the same stuff on the MTD as the Elrick, which is good news.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I got all three of my Elricks used. I got his phone number from an Elrick owner.