Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick fans, here's another!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, Feb 2, 2006.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Platinum Series Classic 6 Singlecut

Swamp ash body
    Crotched walnut top... and back
    Black veneers
    3 piece quartersawn maple neck
    Alder heelblock
    Brazilian Rosewood fretboard
    Bart soapbars/NTMBF 3 band
    Coil taps on pups, push/pull mids freq and active/passive
    Hipshot hardware + Xtender

I sold a great 5 string Elrick that I bought from Jokerjkny (happy bday!) to fund this bass. That bass sounded fantastic, but a 5 string just didn't feel right. The 5 had a Mascassar board, and J's. I wanted a bit more punch, so I opted for Brazilian rosewood, and soaps.

IMO, Rob is a genius. Maybe it's just the "new vibe" talking, but this bass kills my other Els.

Details:

First, the look of this bass is killer. Last year, I ordered a Walnut bass, which I think looks a bit classier than this one. When I told Rob that I was interested in replacing my 5 string with another custom order, he said that he had enough Walnut left from the same cut, and if I wanted it, he'd hold it until I put the funds together. In my head I quickly calculated how much more debt I could carry while keeping the collectors off my back... then ran to the bank, and got a deposit for an order. One tiny note: usually Rob doesn't put figured backs on his singlecuts. Another side note: his new hardcases look great. I can't get enough green velvet.

(pictures are coming.... g/f took the camera)

Second, playability. Neck is smooth as silk. Very fast C profile. I opted for medium frets. I now realize I prefer smaller frets for speed and comfort. Well balanced, of course. Average singlecut weight. It's lighter than my walnut bass. Better for my bad back! My chiropractor will be pleased.

Third, tone. KILLER! He sent the bass with, I'm guessing, his new strings. I believe these are SS. I asked for series/parallel/coiltap switches for each pickup. The mid frequency is now a push/pull, as well as the active/passive control. I've sacrificed the hi-mid control, as the push/pull is only the low-mid, mid. Back to the tone: KILLER. It's got loads of punch. I'm no slapper, but this bass even made my slapping sound good. For fingerstyle, I tend to float around the bridge pup. It has well defined lows, and punch mids, without being muddy. The hi's are nice, but not harsh. I just realized that I haven't even touched the eq or s/p/ct switches! Sorry if the description is the "generic good sounding bass" cliche. I'll try to post some soundclips on myspace when I get a chance. If you've had a chance to play Jokerjkny's bass, you have an idea what this bass can do, plus more ;) .

That's it for now. I'm sure this will be my last big purchase for awhile *cough**schroeder*ahem*1210*cough*. At least that's what I'm telling myself and my g/f. :D

2. You're making me miss it...:crying:

Congrats on the new custom though. Sounds killer ;)

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    LOL.

Here, these will make you miss it even more!

(please excuse my amateur pics... it's 2:30am and I have to work at 7)

ps: I'm going to order a new ramp for this bass. For some reason, the one he sent was shorter than the pup, so it centers lower than the pups. strange? anyways, do you think i should stick with ebony? or go with maple?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice. Congrats!

Stick with the Ebony.

5. Big +1 on that one.

Super hot bass! That thing is killer :D

6. Rob probably made the ramp to match the width of the fingerboard, instead of the pickups. Some people might prefer that, to be able to anchor your thumb a little closer to the strings. Definatly stick with the ebony though. Another gorgeous Elrick, for sure :)

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Very nice, Kori! Looks very much like a lighter twin to your other singlecut six- you need to get a pic of them both together.

Weird about the ramp, huh? It's wider than the fretboard as well. I'd shoot Rob an email asking why he put a narrow one on there...was it already attached when you got it? If not, he might have accidentally put the wrong one in the case.

You guys that get the Classic model singlecuts instead of the e-volution ones get a figured back- no fair! :D

8. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    *dies*

You're going to hell for showing that kind of thing in public.

9. I love the back of the bass.

The laminates look amazing.

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys!

It's actually a bit bigger than the fingerboard. I think Bryan's got it, maybe he put the wrong ramp in the case. doh!

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Family pics are coming soon. I just want good lighting. It's been raining here in TO for the past few days. Pretty miserable. Canadian groundhog says early spring anyways!

I ordered 2 ramps, on for this bass, the other for the walnut brother. Both of them were unattached in the case pocket. So maybe he did put the wrong ones in. It is strange. I did shoot him an email. I'll let you know what he says. Actually, how do you remove your ramps? I tried to take one off on my bolt-on, and it's really stuck! I even did the "stick it to the shirt" to remove some of the ultra stickiness before i stuck it on. I wanted to take a picture of the ramps side-by-side, so he could see the difference.

I think these basses that he did for me with figured backs was a special favour. I'm going to start calling it the "Canadian Special". He usually doesn't do figured backs for any of his singlecuts - evo, or classic. He told me originally that it takes too much time, because he has to do the extra carving/shaping all with a file. My all-walnut singlecut figured back was actually a mistake. I had originally asked for a doublecut, then a few weeks into it, asked him if it was too late for a singlecut. Well... you know Rob ;) . So it floored me, when he said no problem, but made sure I knew how much extra work there would be, LOL. He had only glued the pieces together, and hadn't done any of the cutting.

Correction on the strings. He said he stuck his Nickels on them. Man, they're really bright! I thought they were SS. If I have to reorder new ramps, I'll probably grab a set each of SS and Nickels to try them out on my other basses. They sound close to Sadowsky bright Nickels. Definately better than the XLs I used to get. :bag:

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep.

It's pretty much the closest thing to art I own. It always blows me away each time I take pictures of them. One of the best features of Elricks are the fit!

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    oh yeah:

I'd like to say that UPS rocks. Even though they lost my bass for 48hrs last time... this time made up for it.

He dropped by at 1pm and I was at work, so he left his normal sticky note on the door. I was hoping that a friend would be over at the apt to pick it up, but she didn't get there until 2pm. So I called UPS and asked them to hold it at their warehouse, which is more than 1.5hrs away on public transportation. And it's a bus ride too... my least favourite out of Toronto transportation.

Anyways. I was figuring I'd finish work at around 5pm, and get up there by 630 assuming everything went well. They close at 7, so it's not a hugh margin, but enough. Rush hour is terrible here, and accidents are so frequent that actually 30min probably wouldn't cover it. I'd have to jump off the bus and take a $40 taxi ride.

So here I am, 730pm, all Emo'd out about my bass not being here... ;) .... when I look out the window, and a big brown truck pulls up. I ran downstairs and I see him unloading my bass. He said that he decided to take a swing by the apt on the way back to the sorting depot, and that he saw the lights on and figured would try to deliver it!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

14. One of the best things you can do is become buddies with your UPS guy . . . or be his wife's boss!!:D

15. +1.

A gorgeous bass!

16. I took mine off recently. I did it by taking off the strings first, and then unscrewing the pickups and pulling them both out of the cavities (wires were just long enough). Then I took 2 Stubby 2mm guitar picks and put them in the gaps on each side and used them for leverage. Worked like a charm :) . Of course, I thought of that after having spent a good 15 minutes trying to pull the thing off with my fingers, unsuccesfully :p

And actually, I'm liking how the bass feels better without the ramp now... :ninja:

17. I don't have ramps on either of my elricks. Guess I just don't see the point. I understand how they work, (keep your fingers from over traveling). Does it really make that big of difference?

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a note on his price list under Through-Neck that says "Matched back on Classic models only," so maybe he's offering it more often now. The e-volutions have bullnose radiusing, as opposed to the Classic's flatter edges, so I imagine it would be a lot tougher to put a figured back on an e-vo model.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It depends on your plucking technique mostly. For some, it's not much difference at all. For me (and lots of other players, particularly those who use a multifinger picking technique like Gary Willis or Matt Garrison), it makes all the difference in the world, and the first priority when getting a bass is to put a radiused ramp on it.

I made a large FAQ thread about ramps and the Garrison-style technique- the fourth post in the thread has all of the info about ramps in it. Here's a link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225211