Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick Gold Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by enbee, Dec 16, 2005.

1. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    I was just wondering about people's thoughts on Elricks. I'm sort of in the market for a new 4-string fretted bass because my brian moore doesn't quite do it for me (especially next to my rob allen fretless). Anyway, if anyone could give my a review on any Elrick you may own or have tried, that would be great. Thanks.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I own an Elrick NJS 5 courtesy of grooveguru (thanks Tim). Lightest bass in the stable, maybe 7.5 - 8 lbs. Uses conventional electronics and hardware but the woodwork is not to be believed. Great customer service to boot!

Riis

3. I owned an Elrick Gold Standard 5. It's a great bass... great, versatile tone, top notch construction and a great feel. I don't think that you can go wrong with an Elrick.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All of the ELricks i have played have been equally great.

5. I'm currently using this bass, it is easily the most comfortable i've ever played. As said, it is very versatile and sounds very huge in my amp.

The neck is incredibly fast and the string spacing makes for some easy slapping.

Imo, they are the deal of the century when you buy them used, i paid 1100$ for mine and i feel like i couldn't own a better bass.

6. I've played about 3 Elricks and have found them to be light, organic sounding, with excellent playability.

In fact, if someone offered me a New Jazz 5 with an ash body, maple neck and fingerboard, I'd be reaching for my checkbook. Throw in a spalt top and I'd drive in to pick it up!! :D

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have that bass, minus the Spalt top... and it kills. One of my "go to" basses.

I also have an NJS 4 and it's my favorite four string along with my 78 Jazz and 78 Tobias. The NJS has a unique vibe, is way too easy to play way too quickly, cuts through in the mix, has a huge sound...

and weighs practically nothing. Feels like I'm just wearing a strap. If the sound is right for you, highly recommended. I also had a Crotch Walnut on Ash with Bubinga fretboard Evolution four. I didn't want to trade it but I had to. Incredible bass. Fortunately the NJS 4 has the indentical vibe, just doesn't look as sweet.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Obligatory Elrick pic...

[​IMG]

9. I had a Gold Series 5 string that was excellent. Now I'm playing a Platinum Series 5 string. Also great. Thumbs up for Elrick.

10. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    I just went to basstasters.com and was also very interested in the sound of Nordstrand. I was curious about people's thought on these two basses side by side. They seem to be similar prices and equally amazing quality.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Carey Nordstrand will do a gloss finish, AFAIK Rob Elrick doesn't offer it. Both brands have phenomenal playability. Carey rolls his own pickups, Rob typically uses Bartolinis, which I think sound great in his basses in conjunction with Bartolini preamps. The two brands sound different IMO. You'd need to get your hands on both and see which grabs you.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I played the one on the left at a GTG a couple of years ago. The action was crazy low and easy to play. I could fret a note by just blowing on the fretboard. Amazing playability and it was very light. A comfy bass indeed.

Can't wait to check out a Platinum Hybrid 4!

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think they look great, and sound better, but I hate the headstock for some reason hehe. Oh well, not like I can afford the spatula headed bass anyhow :)

14. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Owww! :eek:

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

I disliked the headstock on the NJS... 'til I played one. It immediately became a non-issue... that's how nice the basses are.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I own three of the Platinum series Elricks, and I've played some of the Gold series models, but I don't own any of them yet, so I guess I shouldn't comment.

At least, not until next week (maybe sooner) when this pretty little fellow arrives at my house :D
    [​IMG]

17. Uh-oh. I think that ties you with Brad (and soon Kori) with 4 Elricks each :eek:

:D

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Nice! Bolt-on and J's. A little change-up.

Is that the one that Jacochops got off Ebay?

I never ended up checking back to see if that Singlecut Spalted sold on Ebay either?

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yep, that was the point- a four (which I never play anymore) bolt-on (which I like but only have on my Bongo) with Js (which I haven't had in forever). It's a bit of a whore already- jacochops got it, then sold it to Wilbyman, who sold it to davidmwilson, who's selling it to me, all in a two-and-a-half month span :D But, as my user title says......

The buckeye singlecut didn't sell. The second auction only made it up to $1875. I emailed the guy who originally bid up to $2900 in the first auction, and he said he bought a different bass instead. The seller was crazy to put the reserve so high that $2900 couldn't get it- my most expensive used Elrick singlecut was $500 less than that- and now I guess his selling price is $2800. I doubt he'll get it- he was very lucky to get two bidders to go that high, and now they've lost interest.

20. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    My NJS5 is one of the best basses I've tried at any price. IMHO Elricks are right up there with Foderas, MTDs and Roscoes. These basses are alive. I'm currently GASsing for a single-cut neck thru 6-string.