Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick NJ Standard 5- Wo, but no Hoo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Oct 8, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I just picked up one of these on a trade for a Modulus Gensis 5 that I've been trying to move for quite some time now.
    First impressions are pretty stinkin' nice!!!
    Specs:
    Ash body, brazilian rosewood fingerboard, maple neck with what I think is a walnut piece at the base of the neck where it bolts up.
    Nice quilted maple top as well (4A I think). Hipshot hardware at both ends. Bart 3 band and Bart p/ups. Three way mini toggle for mid knob frequency and a active passive switch.

Overall a very nice bass. I'm a die hard Sadowsky player, but this has been in my hands for most of the night and it feels pretty comfy. 35" scale and all.

Anyone else have any experence with these good or bad??
    I agreed to the trade as the guy really liked my Modulus and stepped up with $250 extra as well.
    To me it was a wash because I got the Mod on a trade and never really played it, just slapped it up for sale and my thought was just to do the same for this.
    But I'm gonna play the thing for a few and see what happens.

Any thoughts on it's value?? It has some player ware, but nothing that a bit of TLC wouldn't take care of.
    It's a 1998 model.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most NJS models go for between $1200-$1600, the ones without nice tops sometimes go for less. While I'm sure they're worth it, I haven't seen one sell for more than $1600 other than that cherryburst NAMM model with the Aero pickups and matching covers.

I'd like to try one someday.

3. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Well, ya know there buddy, you could!!!
    Make me an offer and we can go from there!!! ;)
    Just kidding.
    I'm gonna play it for a few, but rest assured, if it goes, it will be tossed up here first.
    But man, a hand made bass for under 2K on the used market! And it's a serious bass. Elrick isn't screwing around!

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Was that the bass that Gruuv was selling? He and I had a great discussion about the Brazilian Rosewood that Rob Elrick uses. Are the Barts in the bass soaps or J's?

5. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    No, it was from a local cat here in Detroit. He got it from a buddy of mine (who is out with The Lion King right now BTW) who went to school with Rob Elrick. Rob built this bass for him. From what I heard it's a tad bit different. Who knows, I'm gonna buzz Elrick on Monday and get the scoop.
    The p/ups are the same width as single coil but do not have the little tabs on them like singles do. They look like skinny soap bars (a used piece of soap :D ) and have an adjustment screw at each end.
    The rosewood is very dark, I'll post up some pix later.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    You're right. I call the Elrick pickup's "J's" only because of the width. I should actually be calling them thin Bart Soapbars. I'd like to know what's different in your bass from other El basses?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I was just informed that the P/Us are actually Bart P2s. I have grooveguru's NJS5 with a single P2 and Aggie(?) 3 band preamp.

Here's a stupid question: When designing a single pickup configuration (like mine), should one use the neck or bridge version for optimal response?

Thanks

Riis

8. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

There may not be any difference. It's just what I heard from the guys at Low Down Sound that they thought that it may be a little different some how.
    We'll see.
    Either way, it's a nice piece.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I got my NJS 5 from LDS and also have an NJS 4 and a custom semihollow NJS fretless 5. All three basses are excellent at what they do... capturing a decidedly Elrick vibe. They don't sound like Jazzes but work in any situation I've put them in.

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Hmmmm, I guess it depends where the pick-up is located. Meaning close to the bridge or in the neck position like a P Bass.
    Maybe one of our resident builders will chime in.
    I guess when you think about it, it may not matter. I dunno, I just play them ;)

11. Mike,
    Any pics of your new acquisition?

I have been very interested in an NJ5 for more than a year --- just haven't pulled the trigger.

I really appreciate people's input on this.

Here's a question for any here: With the Bart set-up, does it get the Marcus tone pretty well?

12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

I'll toss up some photos later (batt in camera charging!).
    I haven't really sat down with it through an amp and tweaked it much. But there is a wide range of tones in there from what I can tell.
    I have the day off today and going to give it a real go this afternoon.

13. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Well, I used it at rehersal last night along with my trusty Sadowsky 5.
    I'll start by repeating what the guitarist said "That thing better be bionic to touch your Sadowsky" (He runs the Gearpage.net BTW- great board over there, mainly guitars though, he's a gear freak).
    Well, it's sweet, but it just didn't do it for me like my Sadowsky. It's just not bionic enough ;) .
    I'm gonna give it a go at another rehersal tonight and see what happens. If the same results are given tonight...................it's gonna be posted up soon.
    I really dig this bass, but just like a few others before it (F Bass, Fodera....) the Sadowskys just work the best for me.