Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick or Pedulla? Which 5 string for studio?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jul 30, 2005.

Elrick or Pedulla 5 for a studio?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2005.
  1. Pedulla Rapture P/J 5 (maple/maple)

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Elrick New Jazz Standard (wenge)

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. I have a better idea (post below)

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. I have the pleasure of shopping for a 5 string for my friend's studio. I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices, but would like some input from those of you who have played these more extensively than I have. I have played both basses (not these exact ones, but similar models) but not enough to recall the differences.

First is a Pedulla Rapture P/J.
    [​IMG]

Next is an Elrick New Jazz Standard.
    [​IMG]

There are maybe a couple of others. If he goes with a new one it would be a Fender American Deluxe P or a Lakland 55-02. I told him he should go used and get more bass for the money.

If you have any other thoughts on an $1100-$1200 5 string with active electronics, let me know.

Let's hear your thoughts.

2. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Not sure about the Elrick. He makes some great looking basses, but I know Mike Pedulla designed his basses SPECIFICALLY with the studio player in mind, being aware that alot of studio techs don't have the time to spend finding a tone for a bass that isn't a Fender Jazz or Precision.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    American Fender Deluxe,fits vwry nice live and in the studio atmospehere :bassist:

4. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i'd definatly go with the pedulla. i almost bought a pedulla thunber-bolt ($1999) but i chose the cheaper warwick thumb bolt-on it just seemed like a "faster bass". The pedulla manufacturers recomend using only an swr sm900 and goliths which i don't have just laying around. If your only buying in terms of studio use go with the pedulla.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Where'd you read that?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pedulla. I've played a few Elricks, and I like them well enough, but I've never *not* picked up a Pedulla and not have my jaw go slack for a minute.

7. Go Pedulla. I've never played the New Jazz but I've played a regular Elrick side by side with a Thunderbolt and Rapture and I liked the Pedullas neck and feel a lot better.It feels totally different from the Am. Deluxe P-bass I use now, and very different from my Jazz V, but still very comfortable and very fast. Sometimes I wish my Am Deluxe P-bass wasn't so P-bass sounding.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I used a rapture J2 quite a bit in the studio and it always sounded really good and dead quiet. I worked with a fairly experienced engineer one time, we plugged into an Avalon pre, set just about flat, right into the computer, and we were both wowed by the tone. Big, balanced, wirey ... amazing.

I liked dean markely SR2000s and Pedulla staineless best on mine.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I won't vote because I've never played an Elrick-- but I've never met a Pedulla I didn't like.

10. Good stuff guys. Yeah, I am a bit biased as well. I own a 1987 Buzz that sounds like a chorus of angels. I am always open to other ideas though.

11. Warwickman0810

Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    I've owned a Pedulla MVP 5 P/J and a friend of mine has a Rapture 5 P/J. Both fantastic top-notch basses. Go pedulla!!! :hyper:

12. Even though I have a Pedulla and love them, I have played a couple that didn't play that well. I mean they were at GC, so that would probably explain it.

Is this Pedulla too P sounding when both pickups are centered?

13. Currently there are 10 votes for another idea, yet only one idea posted. Somebody's not posting their ideas. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings. I really am looking for the best active 5 string for $1200. I want my friend to be really happy with his studio bass.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like Pedullas and I own several Elricks, including a couple of New Jazz Standards (4 and 5). While "I" would have no problem using my Elricks in the studio ("studio" being key to this question)...

I'd get two basses... a Fender P and 5 string J.

punchdrunk likes this.
  15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does your friend like a hi-fi modern tone, mid heavy growl, or a versatile bass?

To my ear, all the fretted Pedulla basses I've played have a distinctive heavy midrange tonality - which IMO makes them SUPERB for fingerstyle, but less so for the crisp slapping tones that you might get on a 70's jazz bass. I also love their playability, the neck design is just about perfect for me. I recently played a Rapture J2 5'er through a Mesa Scout combo and the mid-range was TO DIE FOR! Their B-string is very good as well, being both taut and clear. ....bizarrely, I really don't care much for Pedulla's fretless offerings - specifically, their Buzz basses with coated fretboards....

I played my first pair of Elricks at BassNW a week ago. They were both immaculately constructed, and the tones available were perhaps a bit more versatile than most Pedulla's I've played. However, the fretted (evo bolt-on 5) bass didn't have as rich a mid-range as a Pedulla, and the playability wasn't quite as effortless, perhaps partially due to slightly higher action and increased tension from the 35" scale. It did have a somewhat crisper slap tone, and I'd be very interested in playing one with nickel strings and lower action.

The fretless (evo bolt 5) Elrick had fantastic mwah when provoked, as well as great staccato bark. The midrange was more complex than the fretted bass, possibly due to the alder body? I LOVED this one! Action was set slightly lower and playability was excellent, I could easily see myself buying one someday if funds allow for it.

Please bear in mind that I played the Elricks through an Aggie DB750 rig and the Pedulla through a Mesa Scout, approximately 2 hours apart as well.

One final consideration might be that the Elricks have the slightly more versatile electronics package with 3 bands, switchable mids and active/passive. Most Pedullas only have Bass, Treble, Blend and Volume.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Every Elick I own has among the lowest action of any of my basses. The playability is about as close to effortless as I've seen.

17. That's a really good idea. Now the trick is to find an American standard P and deluxe J 5 for $1200. I will run the idea by my friend. I like the idea of having passive P (probably with flats) and an active 5. That would probably cover all of the recording needs he would have.

18. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    To clarify - the Pedulla owner's manual does NOT recommend only using an SM900 and Goliaths. It does recommend using amplification that is sufficiently full-range enough to do justice to the instrument. The SM900 and the Goliaths are what they happen to use as a reference system at the shop.

Lonnybass

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Shouldn't be all that hard. Buy used. Check the classifieds here, Bassgear.com, local sources and stores, eBay, etc.