Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick owners or users, please help me out.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Jul 20, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I used to own an nice Elrick NJS-4, it was ash, maple, wenge. That bass had the best satin finish on the back of the neck and the body. I'm assembling another bass now, and was wondering if any one could tell me the exact brand / model Rob Elrick uses to get that type of smooth finish. Also what about technique, how many coats should I apply to get closer to his finish.

Cheers

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I recently purchased a new Elrick 5 and it had a couple of small scratches that I steamed out and I called their sales/product info number listed on their Web site to see if I could get the brand of tung oil they use. The gentleman that I spoke to didn't know the tung oil brand but gave me a Fax number to the factory. I Faxed them but never heard back. It's probably Watco but I'm not sure. I went ahead and purchased some Formby's low gloss tung oil and it matched up very good. The quantity of coats will Depend on the type of woods used on your bass. Maple and ash require many very thin coats since it absorbs so little each coat. Some of the darker woods like walnut absorb the oil much better and typically require less coats. You do need to use 0000 steel wool between each coat and I'd apply thin coats. If you happen to get through to the factory and get the info please post it.
    Good luck!

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I could never reach Rob, so I have no clue here. I know for sure it's Satin, but which one - there are so many.

Cheers

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    For what it's worth the Formby's low gloss tung oil matched up real well with the finish on my Elrick. You can't even discern where I touched it up. If I were doing an instrument from scratch though I'd use Polymerized tung oil. I've done 3 basses and a guitar using Polymerized tung oil and they turned out very well. I'll attach a picture of the last bass I used it on. It's very easy to apply and is more durable than traditional tung oil. The polymerizing process hardens as it cures and provides more of a permanent finish. You apply a Polymerized tung oil sealer (2 coats) and then Polymerized tung oil (low luster) finish. I typically apply 10-18 coats and steel wool (0000) between each coat. You can order the oil from sutherlandwelles.com

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Joe, is the oil smooth, and creates a fast neck. Also how long does it last compared to Satin? Does the oil protect it enough from absorbing sweat, or any other liquid? Can you post a close up picture of the back of the neck.

Cheers

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    First of all, it's highly possible that your 4 string Elrick actually had a low luster tung oil finish. All of the Elrick basses that I've played had tung oil finishes. Of course I've only played 3. Actually the polymerized tung oil finish is more durable than the traditional tung oil finish but not as durable as a satin or gloss hard finish. The great thing about the tung oil finish is that it can be easily touched up and most people feel that it allows you to hear more of the sound of the wood of the instrument. The feel of a tung oil neck is awesome! Very fast! I think that you'd like it but you really need to play one and decide for yourself.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    When I bought the bas, the specs were Satin finish, so I'm sure it satin, plus it didn't feel irk oil finish. I owned a Rick Turner RB-4, now that one has Tung Oil finish, and it's not the same as Elrick. Elrick had more coats on it probably, much faster and smoother.

Cheers