Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick Owners: What straps do you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassballs27, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello,

Here is a rather odd question for the great talkbass.com bass forum.

For those Elrick Bass Owners out there, especially those with the Gold Standard Bodies, what kind of strap do you use?

Elrick's are factory equipped with embedded Dunlop Strap inserts, which is great.....but the top insert is embedded into the back of the upper horn! Instead of the top (like most basses, excluding Flying V's, Steinbergers, etc). See the pictures below.

Elricks are nice lightweight basses that are very easy to play, I'm just curious of what people are using for straps.

[​IMG]

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm using a comfort strapp. One of the strap inserts, for the top horn is reversed. It's hard to explain.
    The lower strap insert is as normal, the upper strap insert faces the other way - they would face in opposite directions if you were to look at the strap laid out end to end.

3. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I was thinking someone would mention that they wrap the strap around the horn.......which would give some more stability......but that's just awkward.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My Elrick has the embedded dunlop type on the top of the singlecut, but my old Conklin has strap locks in the same position as you Elrick does. I use Comfort Strapps (only straps out there that are short enough), and I would just put the straplock attachment that goes on the horn part of the strap backwards, so it would sit on my shoulder in a normal fashion, and just twist a little at the end where the locks attach. Hope that made sense.

5. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You know what, now it's totally clear.........just flip the strap lock around.

Literally, turn it backwards.

Thanks guys!

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

I also use Comfort Straps with all of my basses. I guess that I never thought about it but Bryan is correct in stating to install the horn straplock attachment backwards. I just did it and didn't really think about it. I was more upset that I have to change straps when switching from my Elrick to my other basses (all of my other basses have schaller strap locks). :(