Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick prices plz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, May 1, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    on another thread someone said that Elrick's are quite cheap and i looked at the site and they are pretty damn killer. anyway theres no prices on the site and i cant exactly make the phone call to the guy so if anyone knows offhand what it is then make me wiser please.
    thanks
    Lukas

2. Well, "quite cheap" is obviously a relative term!

Unfortunately, the Elrick page is rather out of date, and doesn't include the newer model names. Some sample list prices from the 2000-1 Guitar/Bass Player Buyer Guide are:

Gold Standard 5 (bolt-on) - $2500 (and up)
    Platinum Hybrid 5 (set-neck) - $3400
    Platinum Hybrid semi-hollow 5 - $4400
    Platinum Through-neck 5 - $3800

I ahve no idea how current those are, though--the GP/BP guide is often out of date.

Dealers like G Guitars (www.gguitars.com) do keep some Elricks that are listed on their online site. There's a new single-cutaway Platinum neck-through 5 there going for $2900, though it's been there for a while and the original asking price was about $3300, I think.

Mike

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    AAARRRGHHHHHHHH :eek:

whoever said they were cheap needs a catscan.......:p no offence to whoever it was. at that price ill probably never get one.

oh well i can always dream........ :D
    later
    Lukas

4. Hey don't worry :)

Give it a few more years and they'll seem a little cheaper, trust me, when i started playing i never thought i'd own a bass that cost $3000 + and i had to work hard for the money and a good bit of luck getting such a good deal used.

Always look at used gear, there's always a gas addict or a fool, who supplements their ego by buying very expensive basses the can't play, then sell them at a great loss to players like yourself.

to quote myself

"Anything can be done, it just takes time!"

Stu :)

5. tyburn,
    I think if we give it a few more years they will get more expensive. New luthiers usually bite the bullet on cost initially so that they can get their name around. I have heard that the Elricks have constuction, woods, craftsmanship that rivals Fodera. If so, I won't be surprised to see the prices increase in the next few years.

I hope I am wrong.

Geoff

6. Yeah i do too, although i' live in England, i hope i have the chance to play one.

I fully understand how it works and many builders take advantage of their reputation, and quite rightly. But there a some who have put reasonable prices on their basses and there craftmanship.

I hope Elrick does the same.

What i'm trying to convey though, is a sense that you don't have to put a hold on your dreams, you can get anything you want if it means that much to you.

i had just turned 19 when i got my Overwater and while there not that well know in the US they are well respected here, and i was over the moon.

I haven't got a pic of mine at the moment, but they produce pieces like this. [​IMG]

stu

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry, but i have to agree. :D Elrick's seem vastly undervalued, and considering Rob uses alot of woods and materials similar to Vinnie and Joey, prices might shootup with the right player/endorser. My singlecut's got a neck thru very similar to Fodera's, and its mad sweet @ 1/3 of the cost of a new Fodera.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think those prices are MSRP - and i know my student with a gold standard (swamp ash/wenge/wenge) paid about 1300 for it new i think.

9. ohh i agree, and i haven't said i don't. But wouldn't it be good if we could buy beautiful basses for a reasonable price!

Obviously this would be hard to achieve, everybodys got to make ends meat.

I think a well made bass is the best investment any bassist can make, while it won't make you better overnight, it sure does speed up the process and only benfeit your playing. I think mostly its something to aim for, a goal for when you see yourself as a player worthy of such an instrument, especially if your bass idol plays one.

I know my overwater helped me and still does, not saying that you can't progress and become a great player on a cheaper bass, we all start somewhere.

I just know i look at her (beverly) and she makes me happy:)

I just hope Henry Euphonic Audio I amp combowon't get jealous :O

stu

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    That's about as low as I saw them in the depths of the bass depression in the aftermath of 9/11.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    $1300 new doesn't sound right.

I'm not sure in what context Elricks were said to be cheap but in fact if you go used they indeed can be found relatively inexpensively, like a lot of other high end gear. Finding one of them in the low teens is what I call cheap (or better yet, inexpensive). I got a steal on mine. I also did find one NJS NOS cheap but that was a very rare occurrence.