Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick roll call!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, May 21, 2002.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Greetings Guys and Gals,
    I put in an order for a Elrick 5 bolt on today, nothin' fancy, just swamp ash body and wenge neck/fingerboard. I ordered it via Bass Central (My homie Gard :p) and it should be ready End of July or August. I'm pretty psyched!

I played a 4 stringer with the same configuration and it had the most focused sound I've ever heard, it was wickedly punchy.

Of course, pictures will be posted when I recieve the bass. ;)

Share your Elrick experiences here!

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I've had 3....all excellent instruments!! I had a neck-through 5 w/lined pink ivory board, basswood body, burl maple top and back, a 4 string bolt on with buckeye burl top (someone on this board has it....a very lucky man!!!), cocobolo board, mandolin frets, and the very first pair of Aero pickups under wood covers. A great instrument, but the pickups were noisy and too clicky. Not my tone. The third was the first single cutaway production Elrick. A fabulous 5 string instrument with alder body, lined pink ivory board, wood-covered pickups, and a burl maple top. It's the one presently for sale on bassgear.com. A guy named Erich has it in Tennessee. I regret selling the 4...I'm a 4 banger at heart, and it was a fine instrument.
    Rob is GREAT to deal with, and I'll be having him make me a singlecut 4 in the very near future!!! He's a fantastic craftsman...on par with Fodera, Nordstrand and F Bass.:D

3. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have that exact bass but in a 4 string. I am actually trying to sell it. to get another. I would like it in a 5 like you are ordering. if youdont mind how much is yours costing.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a one-off Elrick, a semi-hollow New Jazz Standard fretless 5. 5-in-line tuners on an elongated headstock, single Bart soapbar and buffer, Fishman in the bridge. Mahogany body with Spruce top. Amazing bass. Rob is one of the Big Boys:)

5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Stroy05,
    I got a killer deal, but I don't feel kosher saying what I got it for, so call up Bass Central and get a quote, they'll do you right.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played one at Electric City Music in Wisconsin. Liked the 6 string enough that it knocked MTD right off my short list! Now, my short list is a list of one;)

Beautiful, excellent playing bass! It was a single cut 6 string with a cocobolo fretboard, mahogany body, burled maple top, single pickup in the sweetspot, and a ramp. Never played a bass with a ramp before, either...that was a really cool experience.

Bottom line: there's little out there that's as well made:D

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Papa Likes! We'll need pics when it comes in!

In the meantime, here's an Elrick I really like...

[​IMG]

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my next bass will be a zon, warwick, or elrick bolt on 5 string fretless.

let the GAS begin.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    did someone say Elrick?!

hehe, i lub mine. dont know what to tell ya, but that its my no. 1 gigging and recording bass. light light ash body neck-thrued with a maple neck, walnut top, macassar ebony board. bart jazz pu's and preamp. check da siggy for a pic. :)

i was going to order another bolt-on El from a dealer in town who's name i wont mention anymore, cause he said that the neck thru sounded like $h!t to him in larger room settings. i was like, "huh?" whatevas...

my singlecut rocks socks. :D

what scale is your ordered El? the 4 stringer you played was prolly a 35". makes for one punch butt bass.

Brad,

how many basses do you have, man?! but your El sounds really sweet. when i was getting my El, it was between the singlecut and jazz. but man, did that jazz have some sweet tones. light like mine, too.

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Joker, the Elrick I ordered is 35" scale. Its really odd, on some 35" scale basses I've played the G strings are too tight (Get your mind out of the gutter :p ) and they sound pretty harsh. I had this experience with a Zon Studio I played, I think it may be the stiffness of graphite/composite necks, because the Modulus Quantum I played was just as harsh and tight, but on the likes of MTDs or such, they're not so bad..they cut better, it seems.

I'm so excited :D

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I don't know Joker, I'd have to count;)

My fretless:

[​IMG]

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Dirty,

dont worry bout that. the G on my El is pretty nice. not as piercing as others i've tried. very even.

Jacob,

wow! just saw that singlecut fretless on bassgear. its mad sweet. love the top on that, and the pickups with the wood covers is a real knockout!

good luck in getting your 4 string singlecut. pics when you get, pleez! :D

BRAD,

good lord man!!!

...................faints.........................

14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I called Bass Central today to see if my order had gone through, and in addition to ordering my bass, they're getting one for store stock..it sounds beauteous:

Classic Elrick Hybrid
    Spalted Burl Maple Top
    Ash body (I believe)
    Maple Neck/Wenge Fingerboard

sounds killer, someone pick it up! ;) 12-15 weeks wait time, apparently.

[edit] Also, was it was wise decision to get the 18v preamp upgrade option? I'm going to be using this bass for loud rock music (A boutique bass in Rock? Blasphemy! ;) ) and I'm sort of lost as to if the extra headroom/output would be worth it. anyone got any experience with the 18v Bart preamp?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its a good option to have, but seems more suited to someone who'd like a more hifi clear sound. besides, you might end up having to lower the gain on your preamp, cause @ 18 volts, it'll pump out a ton of signal.

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I tried an Elrick 5 with 2 jazz pu and one with 2 soaps. Great basses. Wonderful woods. Most of all, they were light as a feather. Tops on my list right now.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Rick,

how did the soaps sound in comparison to the jazz pickups? was it noisy? very interested!