1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elrick semi-hollow bodies. Anybody?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korybaugus, May 1, 2010.

1. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    I was wondering if anybody owns or has had some experiences with these? i.e.
    What does it side like?
    What kind of tones can you get?
    Are they kind of like Rob Allens?
    Thanks,
    Kory

2. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Kory-

I don't have an Elrick semi-hollow but I do own a 6 string fretless Elrick Platinum with a pink ivory board and I used to own two Rob Allens. In my opinion, my fretless Elrick sounds better.

Dave

3. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Thanks David, I really apprecitaed the input. What do you prefer about the Elricks? Also, do you mind showing a pic? :hyper:
    I got my eye out for a Elrick 6, at the moment.

4. David Wiener

David Wiener Banned

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Kory-

The Elrick just cut thru the mix better. I am an upright player and was hoping I could use the Rob Allen for my upright work with big bands. It just didn't cut thru the mix.

The Elrick can get that great Jaco midrange sound that cuts thru everything as well as very big blossoming bottom.

Send me your e-mail address via a PM and I will send you pictures. It is an amazing bass with an exhibition grade Top and Back and the pink ivory board is amazing.

Dave

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
  7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The post I was responding to was about using the Rob Allen instead of an URB. Uprights don't really cut through either but in that clip I posted, the Rob Allen supported the band just fine.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Elrick semi-hollows are very rare- they're also very expensive (they're his most expensive bass) so not many folks have bought one just to try. I've never seen or played one in person, but would love to try one.

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Totally agree.

Great clip !!!!!

10. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Thanks Bryan.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've owned a semi-hollow New Jazz Standard fretless five for several years now. One of the most expressive basses I've ever played. Mine is Mahogany body, Spruce top, Maple neck with Ebony board. Not sure what it would sound like as a fretted, should be just about as nice IME. Very open sounding, excellent growl.

12. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Thanks Brad, would you say it sounds like an arco or a more resonant solid body?
    Do you have any sound bites or links to recordings?
    best,
    kory

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Arco. The one thing it doesn't do well is a solid body slap sound like my other fretlesses. It more than makes up for that by sounding beautiful. It can be smooth and punchy simultaneously. Great bass. I haven't recorded with it.

14. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    And I thank you.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just make a quick trip to Japan to try some out- they have two of everything over there :D
    img2_46960. img2_78475.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Here's mine, in the middle...
    Elricks1.

Note the 5 in-line ebony headstock. This one was a complete one-off. Lucked into it a long time ago.

17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    That headstock is trippy.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yep, even trippier than the stock NJS headstock. But plug the bass in and it becomes pretty much unnoticeable.
    :D

19. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Man! You guys are Elrick FEEEEEEEIIIIIIEEENNNNNDDDDDDSSSS!

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I only have the fretless left from that group shot. Still love the basses, I sold the others for various reasons. I've had a couple more besides these.