Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick vs. Fodera vs. MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmband908, Mar 15, 2004.

Elrick, Fodera, or MTD?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2004.
  1. Elrick

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Fodera

34 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. MTD

37 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. dmband908

dmband908

Mar 11, 2004
    USA
    Im wanting a high end bass, and these three companies come to mind. I know we have elrick fans, fodera owners, and MTD lovers on these boards, and as far as value, tone, and contruction goes, which do you think is the best?

Chris

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Put me on the list for Fodera.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    100% proud and satisfied Elrick owner here. I have to admit, however, that I visited Carey Nordstrand a while back and played 4 or 5 of his basses and was completely blow away by his work. Absolutely perfect workmanship/playability. I truely think that Carey has raised the bar in the high-end bass market.

4. dmband908

dmband908

Mar 11, 2004
    USA
    Tell me why! Tell me about your basses too! Post pics!

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Had all of them, and as with most desired basses, over 90% of these basses are just a joy to play. Definitely reasons why I would tell you to get one over the other in certain scenarios, but overall you won't lose on any of them.

Personally, my MTD was the king of things. Wow, I miss that bass.....

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been happier overall (considering every example of each of the three brands I've checked out) with Elricks than MTD and Fodera, they just seem to suit me in general better from bass to bass. Can't really recall one I didn't like. Second would be MTD, I like most of what I've seen and played. I've found a Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass 6 and MTD 635, both of which are among the best basses I've played. I have four Elricks, a custom NJS fretless 5, a singlecut Spalted Maple fretless 5, a Platinum Hybrid 5 and an E-Volution 4. All keepers.

I'd add a couple of other builders to this list;)

Sounds like an excuse to take a pic.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Gotta play them all to decide what you like the most. I have heard that Rob Elrick trashes Vinnie's work big time but that doesn't have any bearing on his work I guess. I would just find it hard to buy the bass of someone who doesn't respect his peers work.

From my personal playing experience I like Fodera's and MTD's the most. Just gotta try them for yourself really.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My conversations with Rob didn't mirror that at all. He was opinionated... but so am I. I appreciated the honesty.

And I spoke directly with Rob so there wasn't a chance of hearsay errors. Now we have it here that Rob trashes Foderas. Is it actually true? Better yet, is it really that important?

I've said it before, anyone who's avoiding Rob's work because of stuff like this... it's your loss;)

For me, a luthier respecting another's work isn't close to being an issue. Just like other people, they have opinions.

Everyone is not going to be a "Gentleman Builder", using only proper etiqutte, maintaining decorum and deferring to their competition.

As long as they can build stuff I like...

:D

9. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    In my experience having owned both a Fodera VW and an Elrick NJS, I would say they are at about equal levels and it comes down to personal preferences: 35" vs 34"...Bartolini pickups and pre vs Mike Pope pre and EMG's...they are very comparable and both excellent basses with incredible playability...I am not qualified to comment on MTD's having only played one briefly and thought it was very nice

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well the person I spoke to is a dealer for his stuff and he pretty much laid it out for me so I don't think there were any "hearsay errors." I'm guessing it was in fact true, and to me it is important because on many levels it speaks to the character of the person. It doesn't matter if he was trashing Vinnie Fodera or Roger Sadowsky, it just shows a lack of class IMO. That's all.

And I wasn't avoiding his work for that, I just haven't run across any that made me want one. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything, personally.

Also, just for the record, I was typing out my initial post without seeing yours, so it wasn't a response to you Brad. It might have looked like it, but it wasn't. I wasn't trying to rebut your opinion or anything, no one will have the same tastes after all. :)

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my experiences, I've found Elricks to be the most consistent from bass to bass, but the MTDs I've liked ('cause there are several I didn't like) tended to have a richer, more complex tone, particularly in the low-mids.

I think Elricks tend to be a tad more comfy to play, but wouldn't turn down an MTD any day!:D

The Foderas I've played (about 6 or 8 of 'em) were all nicely built and somewhat comfortable, but I never understood what the vibe was all about. I never got it, and as such, wouldn't pay as much money as they command.

12. I've never had a Fodera, and I hope I someday will.

I love my MTDs & Elricks. They are each very different, and I've played other MTDs & Elricks that didn't work for me at all. Each one is a unique masterpiece that may work for you or not.

Rob Elrick's neck throughs & singlecuts are the cost effective way of getting an immaculate custom woodwork masterpiece that has a huge bottom.

[​IMG]

My favorite fretted basses are my MTD's, the 535 with a spalt maple top on a koa body with wenge/wenge neck which is incredibly versatile:

[​IMG]

and my daily player these days which is a MTD 5 string P type bass with an alder one piece body and a custom passive Bartolini vintage P pickup. It's very light and comfortable, and has the perfect P tone and punchy character balanced all the way from high E all the way down the great B string.

[​IMG]

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're not the only one to have heard this...there are plenty of those tales around Chicago. And, they're not all directed at Vinnie's work.

14. Rob's outspoken and honest and brilliant, and he'll tell you what he likes and doesn't like about anything if you ask one on one. I've heard him criticize his own work.

I like that trait. I think he's a great guy.

I've never seen him trash anyone in a public forum.

Aloha,

Jonathan

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I don't know Elrick basses, but I think that Foderas are much more better than MTD; Fodera is really smething else.
    IMHO

16. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    well I had to vote for Fodera....I've been a satisfied customer of theirs for about 15 years (1 bass). What I like is that Vinnie will take his time with you and figure out what kind of bass your looking for exactly...and build it around your specs. These are true custom basses. It takes a little longer to get than most other basses but well worth it in my opinion. The only bad thing I can say is that my Fodera has spoiled me. I haven't played another bass that compares to it. I'm sure Elrick and MTD's are nice too, I honestly haven't tried either.
    Do they offer custom builds too?

17. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    [but I never understood what the vibe was all about. I never got it, and as such, wouldn't pay as much money as they command.[/QUOTE]

Well,
    let me try to explain what is "the fodera difference"; it consists in two main facotrs to me:
    1)
    Playability and feeling

2)
    The way a Fodera cut through the music of a band.

There so many other reasons why I think Foderas are the best, but those two facotrs are really something I never found in any other hi-end bass tryed/owned.

Just my 00.2

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Well,
    let me try to explain what is "the fodera difference"; it consists in two main facotrs to me:
    1)
    Playability and feeling

2)
    The way a Fodera cut through the music of a band.

There so many other reasons why I think Foderas are the best, but those two facotrs are really something I never found in any other hi-end bass tryed/owned.

Just my 00.2[/QUOTE]I think it's great that you love your Fodera that much!

IME, there are 2 camps: those who love Foderas and those who don't. Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the fact that they're very well crafted instruments, and do what they do very well. But, to me, I never caught the vibe. Other luthiers cut through very well and other luthiers basses are extremely well built.

Congrats on your bass!;)

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

As am I! And if I wasn't nor rad or anyone posting on this forum then it would be a pretty laim place to hang out.

If you think Joey has never dogged another builder......... man your wrong! But if you think that builders don't pick each other's products apart then your lying to yourself. What do you think drives them to be better. What drives you to be better and who influences you in your playing?

It’s an industry and its competitive and if you fault Rob, Joey or Mike for that then that's a personal problem. But it’s also a loss in not trying their basses. Because if it wasn't for other builders pushing each other then we would all still be playing Hofners and Fender P basses.

Starting out with these three builders and only these three is cutting yourself short as well. I would say that MTD and Elrick are a closer style or bass then throwing a Fodera in the mix and it has nothing to do with Bolt-on or SC design but more about instrument and electronic desires and design. If your want companies that compare to Fodera, you need to look at Nordstrand, Benavente, Fbass and companies that go with a more custom electronic and pickup package verse the Bartolini and I’m not saying their is anything wrong with it. Also check out Ken Lawrence, Brubaker and a number of others.

But it depends on your taste and what you’re looking for.

This isn’t directed at Jared, but just a continuation and branch from Brad’s post.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's a good point Brian. I suppose if Rob (or anyone else) thought someone else's basses were crap and said so they would merely be stating their opinion, and not necessarily just "trashing" someone. I didn't really look at it from that angle.

I also agree that just sticking to three choices can be very limiting.