Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ELRICK VS MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan17, Apr 28, 2002.

1. bryan17

bryan17

Apr 28, 2002
    I have an Elrick 5 Gold Standard. But I'm thinking of buying an MTD. Is there anyone out there that might hace played both
    Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bryan, welcome to Talkbass.:)

It just so happens that one of our members, Brad Johnson, has an MTD and an Elrick. He should be along shortly to give you an answer.

One other thing. In netspeak, using all capitals is considered SCREAMING. It is alos annoying, because it is difficult to read.

Just a little friendly advice.:)

3. I've also owned both the Elrick Gold Standard (a 5 and a 6) and MTD 535. The Elrick 5 had tulipwood body with a burl top, and the MTD had a solid korina body, but both had wenge necks.

Both Elrick and MTD are very fine basses. The MTD seems a bit more "refined" or "developed" overall--the contouring on the body more elegant and comfortable, the asymmetric neck thinner and easier to get around on, the pickups and electronics a bit more transparent and "open" sounding. Those are my impressions, anyway. Of course, Michael Tobias has been building instruments a lot longer, and the MTD is also somewhat more expensive.

It would certainly be worthwhile having both though, especially if one had a maple neck and the other a wenge neck.

Mike

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's probably a few here who have played both. I've played a few Gold Standards and own a custom NJS fretless five. Still haven't seen an Elrick that didn't play exceptionally well. Rob does excellent work, my fretless has one of the best B strings I've ever played.

I also have an MTD 635. The more I play it the more I'm amazed at the playability and sounds it's capable of. It's hi-fi in the best sense of the word, clear without harshness, full without a trace of mud. Mine has a Wenge neck which is my favorite.

I haven't spent any quality time with a Wenge necked Elrick though I'd love to.

As far as one vs. the other they both have their own vibe so it really comes down to personal preference. I grab the MTD more often.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny this came up, cause i've been vibing off of a couple of elrick's i've played this past week. i love his single cut neck thru's, and the joint is eerily similar to Fodera's which is really intriguing. i recently played a singlecut 5 stringer, and was duely impressed.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Ha!! well i think anyone that know me knows im an MTD freak! havong said that- i was at NAMM this year and the Elricks were the moat appealing basse to me of all that i saw- also really dug the Foderas at the show- and of course- the MTDs are my fave-

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I've played both and prefer the Elrick. Lighter weight, more versatile sounds, more ergonomic body design, nicer wood combinations and it is a custom shop bass for a few bucks more than the assembly line (admittedly a short one) MTD's.

Also, Elrick has never cheapened his line with imports marked "Elrick". Elrick's are all made by Rob Elrick who, himself is a bassist. Rob makes a couple of neck through models that are on par with similar Fodera's.

MTD's does make a good bass but not as good as the Elrick. I tried both and bought an Elrick Platinum Standard 5 string.

8. I've heard that this will change in the near future.

As for which is better, it's kinda like BMW vs. Mercedes or something like that.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Man, that's certainly true in my case. I knew nothing about MTD before someone turned me on to the MTD Beast. I still don't know very much but since that time I've come to realize that I have find a way to get an MTD 535. His import designs are different enough to make them a whole lot different from his American made line. The Beast is sweet but I think that my destiny lies with the 535.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i think we were talking Elrick vs USA MTD- so the assembly line comment wouldnt apply here- Mike works by himself 90% of the time- i WOULD prefer an Elrick to a production MTD- but a *35 series an assembly line bass?? i think not-
    the Elricks are fine instruments , though, no doubt

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's a really, really, really short line ;)

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah, Brad- about the length of Mikes arms!! :D

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    To say that Michael Tobias "cheapened" his line is just ludicrous. What Michael Tobias has done is to make an affordable, quality, wonderful sounding and playing bass that is well within the financial means of most players. The QC on the Korean made MTD's is exceptional. I am sure Adrian can attest to this.

Not everyone here at talkbass can afford an elrick, mtd, fodera, alembic, zon, etc. The market for handmade basses is small. The majority of players (as exemplified by the threads here) are talking about MIJ and MIM Fenders. The Korean line outshines any of them (IMHO).

I guarantee that my made in Korea MTD Heir, in performance, sounds as good as your Elrick. I A/B'd my Heir against my Fodera although their were distinct differences, those differences were subtle at best and definitely not representative of the 10 times cost differential. In the next few days I will be putting up a sound file of the Heir at my site's gear page.

There is a real difference between inexpensive and cheap. Don't get too upset when you find out that Elrick has an imported line. It was mentioned in BP in the NAMM issue. The Elrick's will be made by Cort.

Finally, it is almost impossible to say that the MTD's are not as good as the Elrick. What criteria are you basing it on. Remember each handmade bass is made for a particular user. Adrian and John Turner love the Wenge neck. I prefer the maple. Each has a different sound, each is made by for the user's specific needs. Perhaps the MTD you played was built for someone whose tastes are very different then yours.

Mike

15. I would love to get an MTD or an Elrick, they are both beautiful basses. I haven't had a chance to play either, but from what I've heard here they are both outstanding instruments. Unfortunately Yankee money isn't jiving well with the Canadian dollar, so it will be a while before I can justify the exchange rate.

On a note of comparing basses, it is quite difficult to say one is better than another. You have to quantify each comparison, and that is difficult to do on a bass. Feel, sound, looks, these are all very subjective qualities. Perhaps you could compare construction, but when you deal with basses in the MTD and Elrick range, though the costs of these instruments are separated by apparently $1000, the differences seem to kind of fade away.

It becomes a preference versus an absolute measure of which is the better bass.

Geoff

16. I have to agree with that. I've also got to say that I've never had the pleasure of playing any of the more recent Elrick stuff, nor any of his neck-through basses. The MTD and Elrick 5's I owned were quite similar in specs (bolt-on 35" scale wide-spaced 5's with wenge necks and Bart pickups/3-band EQ) so you might say they were "competitors". There were certainly features I loved about both--the neck joint and the overall attention to detail on the Elrick were wonderful, and top wood was spectacular, especially with the matching headstock overlay--though if I had to pick one, I'd have gone with the MTD. Ideally, I'd love another wenge-necked MTD bolt-on, and a single-cutaway hybrid Elrick with a maple neck. :)

Mike

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

well, there's always george furlanetto ;)

18. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    El'rick is a Mexican Rickenbacker, right?

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Guess that would make El'ton a fat man.

Don't worry, I don't really know what I meant either;)

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What's scary is that I did!:eek: