Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jul 8, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Oh my.... Drooollllllllll ... I'm going to have to get one

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Where did you play one?

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For anyone in the Detroit area, Huber & Breese is now an Elrick dealer. They're online, too. When I was there the other day they had a used thru-neck 5 and a new thru-neck 5 and an NJS 5. Their web address is www.huberbreese.com. Their website is rather disappointing, but at least you can contact them that way. They're also one of this area's biggest Ken Smith dealers for anyone who cares.

Peace,

James

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's wonderful for those of you in Detroit! From what I hear, Elrick basses are the S%$T!:D Back home in Chicago, I only live a couple miles away from Rob Elrick's loft, know some people who claim to know him, and all I hear is how nobody in town carries his stuff. Also, it used to be possible to actually visit his loft to pick up one and play it. No longer, however...:(

6. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    A guy in one of the bands we open for had a 6 string bolt-on fretless.... oh my... the neck was a little thinner than I'd like... but it would take all of 10 minutes to get used to.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am sure they are very nice and all, but I still think they are kinda ugly, from the pictures that I have seen. Bet I'll get flamed for that one.:D:D

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I won't flame you. I don't necessarily agree, but looks are subjective.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hey RAM...Elrick basses are the S%$T!:D

I have a custom New Jazz Standard fretless 5 that, along with my Zon Legacy is amongst the two best fretlesses I've ever played:). Semi-hollow Mahogany body, Spruce top, bridge piezo and Bart soapbar, passive, Ebony board, amazing sound and playability.

I also received another NJS 5, a fretted Ash body, Birdseye Maple board that is excellent, too. Bart soaps and 3 band EQ, sounds great. Not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not, only because of the finish...it's supposed to be red but...;)

I'd put Rob Elrick's basses, since my recent experience, on par or above any bass I've ever seen. Seriously. I've never experienced better playability. I'm truly impressed. How good are they?...I'd buy one new;)

There are some interesting used ones at www.bassalone.com in San Diego. Also some at http://www.gguitars.com in CT.

10. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Agreed!! :D

Check mine out:

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  12. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Did you get them from a store or directly from Elrick? I want a 5 string fretted with only one pickup. And a pink fretboard like the one in bass player.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I found the custom NJS fretless on www.bassgear.com last month. After being very impressed with it I remembered a fretted NJS 5 that I saw on eBay that didn't sell. I called the dealer who had listed it (it's new) and got it for a great price. Now I have to decide on whether or not to keep it. I'm not crazy about the finish but otherwise the bass is great.

14. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    is it just me or was Steve giving somebody the finger?
    I digs that j-bass ram.comgrats bro.
    lakland@elrick are both in Chicago,mighty fine basses being
    made in the windy city.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW is that a Lightwave to the left of Steve?

16. Looks like a G Major triad. He could be flipping me off though. :)

Just kidding. He was a really nice guy and was honestly flattered that I wanted to take his picture.

- Dave

17. Don't know. Could have been a piezo.

Here is another pic that I took:

[​IMG]

- Dave

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Now, I'll have to pay them a visit (again)...

...I'm starting to feel the GAS pains already! :eek: :D

19. I have a Custom 4 & 5 that I purchased used. I swapped out the pickups on the 5 (Barts were waaaay to dark), but the 4 I left as is. Every time I plug in to do some studio work - to a man (and one woman), every engineer has asked, "what kind of bass is that - nice tone" Rob did the pickup swap on the 5 string, and is A++ in customer service.

I know, I know... shameless Elrick promotion... but man does he make a great bass. I wound up sellling both of my Foderas (but part of that is also because of their high resale value) after picking up these two monsters.

Highly recommended, if you can find one to try out.