Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

elton johns bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by turkish, Dec 3, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    who is this guy i tihnk his lines totally rock, anyone agree?

btw what kind of bass does he play

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dee Murray kicks ass. His lines are freakin' fantastic. Davey Johnstone is awesome also.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw elton jon and his band last november at the garden in NY his basses was a great player some very melodic bass lines. I am pretty sure all he was playing at the concert was music mans they might have been sting rays. They sounded great on funeral for a friend.

4. Dee Murray died in 1992. I don't know who Elton's current bassist is.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, Elton's current bassist is Bob Birch, and the last time I saw him live, he was playing a StingRay 5 and a Lakland through an SWR rig.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Even as EJ's music progressed(?) He stuck with the same band. Though there was a while where he made some records with other musicians, he went back to Nigel Olsen(drums), the guitar player(?), and Dee Murray for some of his newer records.
    I still prefer the early-mid-70's stuff for originality and song quality.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was just talking to my drummer about Dee Murray the other day, he had a great sense of what lines fit the song, and his tone was so nice and round.. both ala Jamerson style;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very melodic playing on "Rocket Man"...the Oldies station here has been playing that one to death of late.

Back when MTV & even VH-1 played holiday hits this time of year-
    There's an EJ Christmas tune that has the band(looks like John, Murray, Johnstone, & Olsen) ropping around; I'm assuming it's a video from the '80s?

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I agree!;)

Melodic, nasty,Plays the song!

AJ

10. Turkish: I do know Murray was among those who immediately got into the Steinberger XL-2 bass back in the early eighties. You could hear it on "I'm Still Standing". Other than that I don't recall much else.

11. Elton John's current bass player is Bob Birch.
    I grew up around the block from him and went to the same high school. (Lakeview High, St. Clair Shores, Michigan) Last I saw he was playing Lacklands.
    Slater- what part of MI are you from?

12. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Pontiac. I've been known to take up space on a stage or two in Mid/Northern Oakland County :) .

13. ah, I know the area well. We've been playing a lot (too much?) in Waterford lately.

14. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What band(s) are you with, and where are you playing in Waterford? I've done quite a few gigs in Waterford myself.

(P.S. I would have just e-mailed or private messaged you, but you don't have them enabled.)

15. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great bass lines on "Philidelphia Freedom" (Dee Murray) from the 70's. Saw Elton John's concert at Radio City Music Hall, Bob Birch was playing some really cool basslines through an SR5 and SWR rig w/Goliath Cabinet.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Elton did a CD in 70 called "11-17-70". It was a live studio album, and Dee Murray kicks serious ass on this disk. Check it out! This all goes back to my theory that the "pop" bass players in the era I grow up in would be "stars" on the instrument today.

17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What burk said! All of that early stuff that Dee played on is killer. He was one of my first bass heroes!! RIP Dee!

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Bob Birch is good.
    But Dee Murry was the bomb.
    Murry's lines on the early EJ albums were killer.

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    If you care to hear some of the very best bass playing ever recorded to tape, check out Elton's 11-17-70 record.

Dee is given a rare opportunity to shine. It's a power trio gig, taped live at A&R studios in NYC; Piano, Bass, Drums.

The bass and drums really stretch out and positively steal the show, although a young, fiery Elton, with a heavy R&B/Blues/Gospel approach to the Piano, is equally brilliant.

This album has absolutely no Disney, and no songs for dead blondes - it just ROCKS.

20. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    Whatsinaname mentions that he went to Lakeview H.S. in St. Clair Shores, so I PM him and tell him I went there way back in the day. So I go to Bob Birch's website and it turns out that it's my old buddy Bobby Birch (we had classes together and graduated in '74)...!! I had remembered that he was heavily into music, and that turned out to be a lucrative endeavor.

Gotta go. Need to e-mail Bob, discuss old times, The Red Wings and I need to get me some backstage passes...

:)