Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elvin Jones Updates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's still a rumor at this point, I got an e-mail from a buddy that quoted some postings by a couple of folks who caught a recent set at Yoshi's. Anybody else hear anything? HEY JAZZBO, that's your neck of the woods, right?
    All I can find googling is the same web stuff that Charles forwarded to me, so if anybody has any info, please post and let me know.

Sad, sad day if it's true.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    we were suppose to work together and it was canned...back in Febuary.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This is from All About Jazz site

Elvin

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i suspedcted something but was never told directly.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hope this isn't true, he's one of my fav's

:(

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I heard the same thing. What a drag.

Monte

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    A "semi Official" good news update....

Elvin OK

8. Snipped this from JazzCorner:

> Subject: [DRUMS Info.] Sad News
    (Elvin)
    >
    >Dear all,
    >
    >I heard a really sad news from Hagi-san.
    >As you may know, our drum giant Elvin Jones has
    passed away...
    >Please pray for the repose of his soul.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >
    >Tomohiro Watanabe/YCJ-AP

Sad news if true. Not sure of the verasity of the source. Can anyone confirm?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I dunno, the "official" word of a few days ago seems to make things sound not so dire. There have been a couple of other websites that have posted "death notices" from cats just posting, I don't think that it should be trusted (or spread around for that matter) cause it's just cats flapping their gums.

I kind of get the feeling that if and when, there'll be no question.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Peter King, the well-known UK Alto player was at my local Jazz club on Friday and dedicated his encore to Elvin and played a tune written by him - he mentioned how he had played with him and that he was very ill... it was a moving speech...but I mentioned to friends in the audience that it might not be as bad as it seems......:meh:

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Bill Dickens called a friend of mine this morning and told him that Elvin is gone...

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I'd still be careful. Bill may have heard it from a friend who heard from another friend who read something online that's a total rumor.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I agree completely...just thought I'd pass that bit on.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  15. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    This same thing happened when Joe Henderson died. Everyone was counting him out for about a year before he actually passed. In the absence of an official announcement from his wife or management, it's probably more respectful to wait rather than speculate. The rumors are hard to control once they get out there and it can't be pleasant for his family.

16. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    NEW YORK (AP) - Elvin Ray Jones, a renowned jazz drummer and member of John Coltrane's quartet who also played alongside Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Miles Davis, died Tuesday. He was 76. Jones died of heart failure in an Englewood, N.J., hospital, said his wife of 38 years, Keiko Jones.

"He's happy. No more suffering," said Keiko Jones. "He's been fighting for so long."

Jones, called by Life magazine "the world's greatest rhythmic drummer," was born in Pontiac, Mich., one of ten children. He had two musician brothers: Hank, a jazz pianist, and Thad, a trumpet and flugelhorn player.

Jones entered the Detroit jazz scene in the late 1940s after touring as a stagehand with the Army Special Services show Operation Happiness.

After a brief gig at the Detroit club Grand River Street, he went to work at another club, backing up such jazz greats as Parker, Davis and Wardell Grey.

Jones came to New York in 1955 for an unsuccessful audition for the Benny Goodman band but stayed in the city, joining Charlie Mingus' band and making a record called "J is Jazz." In 1960, he became a member of John Coltrane's quartet.

Jones, with his rhythmic, innovative style, became one of jazz's most famous drummers under Coltrane. He can be heard on Coltrane's "A love Supreme" and "Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard."

After leaving the Coltrane quartet, Jones briefly played with Duke Ellington and formed the Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine. He put out several solo albums and continued to tour, including last month in Oakland, Calif., Keiko Jones said.

Besides his wife, Jones is survived by a son and a daughter

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Crap. Real thing this time.

18. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Sad, sad day. A great guy as well as a great musician.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :bawl:

At least him and Trane can now get back to work now, I guess.

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I heard last night on the Philly Jazz program that he died "a few days ago."