Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elvis Costello

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Anyone else here a huge Elvis Costello fan? I usually find myself alone on this one most places. I've got just about every CD he's put out, and quite a bit of vinyl, posters, and record store promotional junk.

If you've never heard of him, I'd definatly recommend checking him out. His bassist with The Attractions was Bruce Thomas, and he really holds it together. I don't think he really gets the credit he deserves... good stuff!

joe

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Wrong Forum.

Elvis Costello is great, I don't have many of his albums, but 'Armed Forces' is my favorite. Great songwriter.

3. I was raised on Elvis Costello. When I was three years old I asked my dad to take down my Barney poster and put it up with an Elvis Costello poster.

Armed Forces is one of the BEST albums in the 80's, by far.

But "My Aim Is True" is very good. Less Than Zero is soooo catchy.

4. i've been listening to "this year's model" nonstop lately. costello rules.

5. Isn't this the "Off Topic" forum?

joe

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. Off Topic is for non music related posts.

Miscellaneous is for non bass related music posts. That is where this belongs.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Elvis is phenomenal. Saw him in a small club last year, and he put on an amzing show with "The Imposters" (The Attractions minus Bruce Thomas). I was about 10 feet from him, and it was just a perfect example of what live music can be.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My favorite Elvis, by far.

Great writer, great performer.

Made glasses :cool:

9. Aha... I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time. :)

I saw him about a year ago in Long Beach. I knew the ticket office manager and was able to get front row, dead center. I was like a 14 year old girl at an N*Sync concert.

joe

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Please tell me you didn't throw him your undies. 'Cause that would just be disturbing.

11. love Costello. Simply love his work. Did a tribute show to him 6 months ago, and had my work cut out playing Bruce's basslines. One of the most fun and nerveracking shows ever.

I admit to not being totally into his torch-song era, yet shipbuilding is one of my favorite songs...

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Isn't he Daves Dad?

Mike

13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Those Bruce Thomas bass lines are just great! They are inventive, some what difficult to figure out, well executed and fun to listen to.

He even does some real inventive stuff with the easy bass lines without sounding too busy.

Just love those lines. Great playing!

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I love Elvis Costello. Don't own any albums, but every time he's on VH1 Classic I listen to the whole thing. Really excellent lyrics, great music.

15. Hey, does anyone know what Bruce Thomas used on This Year's Model? It sounds amazing. His playing on "The Beat" blows me away.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nothing to add... he's just great. One of the best "new wave" artists.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    he's great and i +1 to the attractions being a great band

-jimbo

18. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    One of my favorites! I have followed him since he first got here in '77, and have seen him in concert many times. Calling Elvis Costello new wave is a huge disservice to his talent. He is one of the most inventive pop songwriters of the past 40 years, and a hell of a good entertainer. Bruce Thomas is a great bassist. There is an entire world of knowledge about harmony and songwriting you can glean from taking his songs apart. Lyrically, his stuff is just over the top clever and subtle at the same time. Creatively, he never stays still; he has done country albums (Almost Blue), R&B/Motown (Get Happy), classical (The Juliet Letters) and straight ahead pop. Elvis always has been one of my favorites!