Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elvis Tunes With Good Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, Jul 26, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive been listening to alot of Elvis again, and just thought Id share a few of of the tunes that I think have note worthy bass lines (no pun intended) his bassist is really good, and definatly worth looking into, he'll definatly help ya improve and hone your skills a bit and is definatly IMO worth lookin into.

Some of the recomened recordings IMO are:

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
    Burning Love
    Polk Salad Annie (live)
    CC Rider (live)

Just thought Id share a few of mine,

much love,

mama cass

2. there's an extended live version of "Suspicious minds" which has some pretty intensive Jamerson-style bass riffing on it- I think it was Jerry Scheff playing.

I'm trying to track it down on WinMX.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I like "Don't Be Cruel," "Heart Break Hotel" and "Jail House Rock." "Poke Salad Annie" is also one of my favorites.

I remember a video of one of Elvis' concerts in Hawaii or Vegas, I forget where, in which most of the songs had pretty good bass, even songs which were reworks of Elvis' old hits.

4. Yeah, there is a lot of great Elvis stuff out there!
    There is of course the original 'A Little Less Connversation'. The original versions bassline has a real groov, its way better then the new remix, its much funkier.
    Lots of the 70's stuff is good' Suspicious Minds' is a personal fave. Lots of the old classics like 'Hound Dog' etc. are just 12 bar jump blues, but still good.
    Jerry Scheff (of the Doors 'LA Woman' fame) played for Elvis in the sixties, he is an excellent bassist, jazz trained, and he really likes the bottem end, which I like.
    Jim

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Check out the song Kentucky Rain to hear some slightly funky, driving R & B feel. very much Jamerson-ish!

6. naquadaX

naquadaX

Mar 5, 2006
    "Only the strong survive" is one of my favorite.

Edit: there is also his version of "Fever" ! a not-so-easy bass line