!em Pleh

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the great one, Mar 23, 2001.

1. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a problem! I keep snaping my strings, especially the E. I don't know if it's caused by my playing style or my incorrect stringing of these babies. When I first started playing this instrument, I used Super-Slinky's and I snapped the E-string every weekend. Then this dude at guitar center told to me to switch to DR's, High-Beams, and things were going quite smooth until the last few weeks. I gone through three sets in one week, and they keep breaking by the bridge area. Am I stringing my bass wrong or am I just playing too much Incubus? I appreciate your inputs, thank you.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

#1. Have you tried lowering your E saddle and taking up the slack to pitch to tune with the tuning gear?

#2. Which kind of bass are you using? (e.g., is there a truss rod in your neck?)

#3. How are you getting in tune before they break?

#4. Are you doing a certain type of pluck or attack on the E when they break, or do you just pick up the bass from its case and find the E has broken?

You've been using pro quality strings. This is weird.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I never break strings. Check to see if the bridge has any sharp protuberances. Plenty of people play hard without breaking strings, so it's prolly something with your bass.
  4. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The E saddle is at its highest adjustment, and I haven't inspected the bridge for sharp protuberances. The guitarist in my band recommends I tune up 'coz I don't know...but I do it anyway! The E usually breaks a few good riffs into a song, especially when I'm plucking the A. Oh, Yeah! I play a Squier P-Bass.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First off, let's make sure you're not stressing the beejeesuz out of your neck and that you're not tuning too high. Assuming you don't have a tuner, go to www.activebass.com . In the lower left hand corner of just about any page you will see a tuning fork, a "Y" shaped icon. Click on it and you will get a pop-up window with the four basic strings of a bass. Click on each one and it will sound through your PC speakers. You can make sure you're in correct tuning.

Don't go by your guitarist. They sometimes come here for advice because they say they can't as good information at the guitar sites. Guitar players are just guys who couldn't pack the gear for playing bass. ;)

If you find you're in tune. Try lowering your bridge saddles and re-tuning, since that will knock you out of tune.
  6. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I bought a tuner for $10-15 bucks and highly recommend you get one for yourself.If there isn't something wrong with your bass,then I'd suspect that you're stretching them out too far when you install them.Get yourself a cheap tuner[mine's a Korg] and don't overtighten your strings.Bring them up to tension gradually.I've never broken any string that wasn't old and past it's prime.
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ernie Balls are pretty well known for breaking a lot, but i dont think thats the case here!

Either your bridge has something point in it, or you just have horrible HORRIBLE technique! Im betting based on your bass you have something sharp there.

At least the guys at guitar center told you to buy better strings that EBs! ;)
  8. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you very much, fellas.
  9. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I wonder if you are using through body stringing or just through the bridge. I have been stringing through the body and am having similar problems with multiple brands of strings that have otherwise behaved well on other basses. Yesterday I switched to going through the bridge on the A and E strings and will let you know how it works out.

10. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    i would venture a guess and say that may be the reason. try lowering the saddle til the action at the 12th fret is around 2.5-3mm.
  11. angus, my EBs have never snapped. where are you hearing about this reputation? i've never heard anyone complain about EBs breaking excessively.
  12. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    My stringing is through the bridge, and I've also doing all of what you've suggested with a new set of strings. I just put them in yesterday.
  13. my advice:
    use rubber bands
    sure they wont work when you plug into your amplifier, but they are a lot cheaper