Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EM Q-Tron Effects Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fonqueman, Mar 24, 2003.

1. fonqueman

fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    I've been using an EM Q-tron pedal for some time now, noticing that each time I use the pedal it runs increasingly hot in comparison to my clean tone. I'm running two active basses, which was thought to be a problem. However, I heard that the newer Q-Trons (1992+) seem to run hotter due to the circuitry installed. Has anyone run into this problem. I have such a distinct volume difference when I activate the Q as opposed to not and it's risking speaker damage. Also - if anyone knows where I can get a Q-Tron (1992 or older), please do let me know! Thanks.

(FF: Changed the title to something more detailed)

2. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    hey man, i've got one too, and that's kinda the nature of the beast. try running in Mix mode if you don't already - not as bass-y but I have found it more practical and useful, or find yourself a good compressor to patch in after the Q and rein in the dynamics a bit while still getting the full freq sweep. hope it helps!

:bassist:

3. fonqueman

fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks for the info! I'm currently running a DBX 160A compressor from the effects loop of my amp. The Q runs in the chain before I hit the amp, so the compressor should be involved, but the damn thing still runs hot.

4. Maybe set it up so you have the Q-Tron in a bypass loop with a volume pedal?

Setting the Q-Tron on always, and setting the volume pedal to lower it's volume, instead of hitting the Q-Tron when you want it, you'd hit the switch for the loop.

That way you could also get a true bypass.

(sorry if that didn't make much sense, it's been one of those days:meh: )