Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EM1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jason Hale, Apr 1, 2003.

1. As good as there is

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. OK for the money. But spend $500-$1000 more and get a vintage bass

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. OK for someone on a budget. But not very good

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Awful!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. How are the new Engelhardt EM1's?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Spend $500-1000 more and you can buy a LOT better bass - some brand new.

3. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have one and like it fine for what I use it for. In hindsight I wish I had access to the information at this website; I would have definitely bought a better plywood. Read the many links on Christophers, Shens, Strunals, etc., and heed the advice of the many skilled and experienced bassists who contribute to this website (I am not pretending to be one).

4. Jason

I didn't take your survey as I felt it didn't have a column for just being a good bass.

Here is my .02;

The Engelhardts have the smallest necks available. If you have small hands it could be important.

I have had my EM 1 for a short time and bought it used. It was the first plywood bass that I found at a really good deal that was not an Ebay cheapie. I would have been happy with any one of the several good plywoods available. Most of them need a setup and different strings anyway. I play mostly bluegrass and acoustic folk/rock stuff and didn't want to have to worry excessively if I was outdoors or in the sun too much etc.

I am planning on learning some Arco, and for that it probably is not the best, but it will get me down the road to see if that develops. If so, it will be time for a better bass (at a significant increase in cash outlay)

Try as many as you can, figure out where your pocket book can take the hit, and spend wisely.

Blessings

Keith

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I voted spend more money but, i don't think you can buy a vintage for just $500 to $1000 more. But, then maybe i don't know what 'vintage' means.
    I have a new ES9 and another bass. If I'd pooled the money that I have in both of these instruments, I could have gotten a LOT better bass than both combined. I just don't have the patience.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't see that anyone could honestly choose one of those polls options and really mean it - so the first one is clearly out and what is meant by a "vintage bass" ? :confused:

And the others basically involve you rubbishing the bass....I can't see that the poll is in any way useful - might as well just have asked the question.

7. I can't see how anyone could honestly read your response to this poll and find it in any way useful - might as well just have answered the question.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Ed! Oh Ed!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Like you did - you mean!! So how much more useless does that make your post? ;)

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

A question in earnest: Do you yourself ever post anything of a positive or helpful nature down here in the DB forums, or do you only pop in from time to time to rag on folks whose replies you don't care for? If the former, my apologies. If the latter, PotKettleBlack.

Yours,

FSCOTCHTAPE

11. Just breakin' your chops, Popeye...

I'm looking at the EM-1 myself, but Englehardt is in the middle of some kind of transitional period right now and I want to wait and see what the results will be.

12. Jeff,

NO NO NO!!! Me and Ed are buddies now - I apologized for my inappropriate outburst and we mended fences. I think. I'd like to order his trio CD but am concerned that if he gets my address he might show up and kick my a$$!

13. CJFK,

I love all of you guys - sometimes it just gets a little dark, stuffy, and spooky in here - especially for a "newbie" such as myself. I've heard from a couple other "newbies" who feel the same way, but I don't purport to speak for them. So I try to break things up a little, but in reality it's probably just my own insecurities showing.:bawl:

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Fair enough. Listen, if you and FRIDAY THE 13th would share some info on what amount you guys are willing to spend to get started, it could be that some of the dark, stuffy, spooky guys might be able to come up with some options in your price ranges. I've been pleased with the Christophers and Shens I've seen here, and I'm sure there are some other decent bottom feeder brands out there. Post your budget, and see if something doesn't turn up. It's not like this board is full of mean people...it's mostly just a bunch of crusty old ****ers with a weird sense of collective humor (that's HUMOURIUM for Bruce).

15. Bruce Lindfield

Registered March 2002 ...:confused:

That's pretty old for a newbie... you should be giving the young'ins hell by now or at least supporting! ;)

Who needs to be "insecure" on a website - think : what's the worst thing that could happen? ;)