embarasing gig of the year

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jbahleda, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I just played the midpoint music festival this last Friday. This was good. During the last song of the set, the endpin on my upright bass came loose and during the "here we are all jamming like mad" portion of the song, the endpin slipped into the body of the bass. The 1st position area of my bass sank 6 inches while playing, slowly, and worse yet, on tape.......I am never going to live that down.

I can see my wife dragging the footage out to show the grandkids...

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    You kept playing right ? What's embarassing about that ? Sounds like a good example of grace under fire, good show :)
  3. +1

Take pride in your ability to keep it going through that.
    When the grandkids laugh at you, swing up the old bass and let them try... :smug:

4. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    What venue did you play? I played at RBC on Saturday night.
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That can be a little embarrasing but you kept going and did not let the band down. If I saw that tape I would think, good job, way to hang in there.

Thats being a Pro.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Good show man.

I had a guitarist who broke a string in the middle of a song, at a pretty well attended bar gig. We stopped the song, and he switched guitars. We started the song over from the beginning.

In the first bar or two of the last song of our set- this fantastic high energy closer- he breaks a string on his backup guitar. We ended the show there, even know we had two guitarists and both were doing the same rhythm part on that song. I felt bad for the guy, but it was emberassing to the band in general and way unprofessional. Gotta keep the show going, if possible.
  7. jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004

I played friday night at the Exchange, 9 pm.
    That is WAY too posh a bar for the likes of my band.....

but yeah, as far as the song goes, I kept the intonation functional, just kind of embarasing....thanks for the kind words folks...
  8. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Show must go on.

I was once singing lead for a band and we were playing for an outdoor festival. We were on one of those trailers-turned-stages, with an unfamiliar PA rig.

At one point of the show, I decided to put my foot up on the edge of one of the monitors (which were sitting a few inches from the edge of the trailer) and lean out to sing to the crowd. These house monitors were wedges. Our band's monitors (with which I had done this before) were flat.

Needless to say, the entire monitor tipped over and began to fall off the stage. I say "began" because I also fell when my foot suddenly had nothing to lean upon. Now, halfway through the second verse of this uptempo song, I'm on my behind onstage, still singing, holding a teetering monitor onstage with nothing more than the weight of my leg. The sound man comes running to protect his system, but I was able to stand and rescue the monitor from its impending doom.

We finished the song (which, incidentally, was the last song of the set) and I came off stage to find that my pants had ripped at the crotch from the falling ordeal.

So yeah, I think you're ok.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You've got knees, right? As the endpin goes down, bend 'em.
  10. shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    We've all been there dude. Senior recital, Individual solo performance with an audience of about 200. Dark room with spotlight on me. And my end pin not only starts slipping in the vertical position, but horizontal too. I still didn't quit, I ended up at the edge of the stage bent way over. People call it my senior parade now.
  11. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    dude..i played boswell alley, northside, a few months ago.
    during a rather involved chunk of song, the strap on my ibby artcore came off!
    i caught my bass, didn't miss a note, and held it while playing, until i couldn't anymore.
    then i did the 'rockstar goes to one knee' thing to keep it going.
    earned strange looks from the (charmin based) lead geet, and respect from the crowd.
    welcome to the jungle, bubba!
  12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Actually, that's one of the funnier stories I've heard. I'da been proud of something like that.
  13. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I played fill in for a country band once at a benefit for the local psych hospital . The end of the first set the promoters thoughtit would becute to give all the "Clients" little rythym shakers made out of pill bottles . No Lie (I wish I was) we finished the first set with an original piece called "Out of My Mind" (wish I was Lying) I didn't dare get off the stage or leave the dressing room. The last set featured the female lead singer doing Patsy Cline's "CRAZY" . After this I was packing up and had a "Client" tell me that we are all a little crazy inside. I jumped in my car drove off and never collected my pay .

If the future is now..................
    What was yesterday
  14. We were playing a new-year's eve party last year, things were going okay until this big, dumb lady thought it would be a good idea to light off some fireworks. She was extremely agitated that she couldn't hear the fireworks going "BANG" (due to our 200 watt, ever-so-loud PA :eyebrow: ) so she came up to the stage and ended our set - MID SONG! I just kept playing and refused to stop, but our band leader was a little less confident and did stop. D'OH! The band stopped just in time to hear the last "POP".

- Andrew
  15. So she could HEAR her fire works?!?!?! I don't usually say wow because I do weird stuff that some people say wow to--which really aren't that weird, its just that everyone is warped by society--but...wow.

As far as the endpin falling in...take the time to make sure the the screw lines up with the bar of the endpin. It used to happen to me all the time.