Embarassing Computer Incidents

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheBassmeister, Nov 2, 2004.

1. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I seem to have quite alot of these happening lately... first I'd like to say though that I decided to bare my soul (yeah right) for someone elses entertainment so take it easy :smug: .

Yesterday I had just finished watching "White Chicks" (embarassing enough) and I walked upstairs to learn a few songs on bass, maybe play a little bit of solitaire and talk to a few friends on AIM, and I set down the Blockbuster 2-day rental case onto my desk next to my keyboard. I clicked on a friends screenname in attempt to message him and ask him about a project I had to turn in the next day. No go. Immediately the window closed when I opened it.

I remember seeing a virus in my email which i scanned and threw away immediately, but I figured someone in my house could have opened it up seeing as my computer is the fastest, most reliable in the house. I decided to run Ad-Aware, and my AVG Antivirus which I put my trust into every time I open my emails. After searching my computer for about an hour both manually and smart-scanning, I found absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I turned off my computer by switching the back, but I still was having the same problems. I called my neighbor who is a complete computer genius, and he even told me that if my antivirus didn't find anything, I was S.O.L.

I looked at my keyboard and the DVD was holding down my ESC Key.

I had to go to sleep I was so embarassed with myself.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats an excellent story, I like that alot :)
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  4. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Please I want to hear more :hyper:
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Oh, I've got one. I was helping out our computer department, along with another guy from operations who is a good friend of mine, in checking boat loads of data being transferred over to a completely new system. The manager from the computer department (a female) had sent me an email with two attachments and instructions for verifying the data on the attachments. Being that the other guy who was helping on the project and I like to joke around quite a bit, I used the email as part of a joke. I forwarded the extra work that had been sent to me to this other guy adding my comments: "hey, I don't have time for this crap today - why don't you take care of this, okay? Thanks babe!"
    I hit send and sat there and chuckled for a few minutes. Then I wondered why he hadn't responded with some smart azzed comment of his own. I decided I better check my sent items folder. I had NOT forwarded this to my buddy - I had replied to the original sender (project manager)
    I immediately jumped on the phone and luckily caught her at her desk and began explaining / begging forgiveness. She said she was relieved that I called because she really didn't know how to react to my email response - she said nobody had ever talked to her like that. Then we had a good laugh and she pointed out how lucky I am she has a good sense of humor.
  6. Once about 7 years back i deleted my company's entire customer database. We had a newer version of ACT and i had to input every customer again, but we had lost all the notes, sales records (in ACt not quickbooks), and all schedlued calls and appointments. Neat huh?
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Brilliant stories! I wish I could contribute with one, but... I guess I'm just too good. :ninja: :D
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to be a Tier 2/Tier 3 Tech Support guy. I have a bunch of stories, but not about me. :D
  9. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I remembered reading this somewhere...and I just had to try it.

At my school I was in a media/web design class where we have like 20 kids just lined up with computers and I decided to mess with the kid a few seats over from me. He left and went to the bathroom, so I slid over and printed his screen, and set it as his background. I then took all of his icons and put them in a folder and hid it at the edge of the screen. I minimized the start bar, and watched the fun unfold. He came back at first and tried to get into Microsoft word, which I had foolishly forgot to put in the folder, and he began typing out a project write up and he seemed to get incredibly upset for some reason (maybe because I changed his AutoCorrect options to replace the word "and" with "and i suck"). After figuring out what I did, he went back to his desktop and tried to open Flash. Again, No Go. I got pretty nervous because he called the teacher over to check out his computer but the teacher just shut off his machine and told him to call him again if he was still having problems. He booted back up, and could not figure out why he could not open any programs, or open his start menu to log off and use a different computer. I felt so accomplished :D :D
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lets hear them anyways!
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm good buddies with our IT guys here. I know that we get a lot of "users" on computer jobs who have never used a computer before. (unionized labor force in a somewhat recently computerized work environment) …well we were talking about how stupid some of these guys seem when it comes to using a PC and my buddy told me that only 1 time has he actually had a guy point the mouse at the screen. :eek:
    He was explaining the very basics and telling the guy how the "little arrow" on his screen was controlled by the mouse and he could use it navigate into various different screens. The guy actually picked up the mouse and pointed it at the screen like it was remote for a TV, and started clicking. Yes, he was for real.
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :D :D
  13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you insist.

I had one guy call me up telling me that his computer was making a wierd buzzing sound. I took a look at his computer and everything was running fine. But oddly, it seemed like every five minutes a buzzing sound would come out, yet the computer functioned normally. I was thinking maybe a bad hard drive, but everything functioned normally. So after scratching my head for a while, I heard the buzzing sound again. I opened up my client's drawer and found a pager that was set to vibrate. The guy found it on his way to the office, and put it in his drawer.

I had one gig where I took care of phones and PCs. I had a call from someone who was saying their phone wasn't working. I went over there and found that the user had moved into a different office, and taken her old phone with her. I had to spend a half hour explaining that moving a phone doesn't mean that the phone number goes with you.

I can't tell you how many times I drove miles to plug in a loose cable. Sometimes help desk folks can be clueless or lazy. Asking the right questions would have saved me a trip.

Here's one for the older folks. I had a help desk person send me out to a remote site because the user said her computer locked up. I drove out there to find that the user had a DOS prompt on her screen. I typed in "win.com" and everything worked fine. I changed her autoexec.bat to make it work right, but it would have been nice if the help desk folks asked "what do you see on your screen?"

I had another call to a municipal gold course that had a problem uploading their golf scores to the PGA. I tried for a long time to figure out why their modem wasn't working. It wasn't dialing, making sounds, nothing. (BTW, this was a DOS system). I then asked the guy if there was a phone nearby I could use. The guy responded that they were working on the phones lines in the room I was in, so the phones weren't working.

There's more, but I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Dilbert comic.
  14. I screw somthing up every time I turn the thing on :D
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sometimes In my computer class we would swap the mouses so we could screw with other peoples computers. it didnt take long to notice though.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    we get users who jam a Cat5 cable in the telephone jack on the back of their laptops.....it seems to be standard policy here at DOH to give the people with the least knowledge about technology the most tech equipment.

18. We used to screw with other people's computers all the time back in high school. Our favorite thing to do was to plug the monitor, keyboard and mouse into a different computer. It looks like everything is working, but wait till you try to save to disk or the other person leaves and turns off their computer!! Oh, twas great fun. But I liked Bassmeister's "and I suck" replacment even better. I think I may try that tomorrow.:D

Rock on
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Heh... I had business fixing/building PCs

Trust me... that not bad at all... I once spilled a beer into open case all over mb/cpu while PC was still running... I didn’t even turn it off just dumped some paper towels on it (i was drunk ok!)... that thing works to this day... those ASUS know how to make motherboards...

Better one is finding a sushi in customers PC after he denied for hour that he opened the PC i sold him day before it broke down... yeah he admitted to take it apart and put it back together after i showed him the sushi.

Then there are people using cdrom as a cup holder... or (this story is actually my friends it happened at his work before whole internet found out about it :) ) lady called in tech support yelling that his PC didn’t work after a while he asked her to check if cord is plugged in... She said she cant do it because electricity went out and it was dark...

Oh oh... this fine man put a zip drive disk into cdrom... that was great too :D

Or put around 5 cds into those slot loading cdroms... hehehe I tried to do that... i couldnt do it myself... no idea how he did it.

Edit: lady told me her hard drive doesn’t work after she opened the case up. I thought about it and asked if it’s connected... (start with basic). She said "yeah two wires are connected and one is not" so at that point I asked if it was cdrom she was talking about... she said no... It’s the hard drive and then made a remark about me being disrespectful because I thought she doesn’t know different between hard drive and cdrom... I asked her what exactly didn’t work she told me to come out and look... so I did... came there she points and cdrom and says "see I told you it was hard drive" after plugging in the sound cable to sound card I asked that exactly didn’t work... she said she couldn’t play cds because no sound would come out. I took my 60$ said... btw that’s a CDROM!!! and left.

don't feel bad... :) I’ve seen/heard worse... :)

20. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    We hired a new guy who didn't know anything about computers so... I decided to have some fun. Installed one of those remote control packages that allow you to see user's screen and run his keyboard.

I watched him type a letter, then jumped in and signed his name at the bottom.. he freaked out, jumped and started screaming 'IT KNOWS MY NAME!!!!'.

Another time I came back from Comdex with some Token Ring network gear and one of those flash lights you get as a giveway. He asked me what it was.. I told him it was a special Token Detector. He spent the next 30 mins pointing at the token ring wiring trying to catch a glimpse of a Token...