Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Embarrassing Bartolini wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Davo737, May 26, 2004.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    So I sat down yesterday to wire some bartolini pickups in a jazz bass - standard volume, volume, tone. I don't have the instructions, and I'm not entirely sure how to work the one wire coming from each pickup to make sure they're grounded. The ground wire seems to be wrapped entirely around the hot. Do I need to separate them, or do I just need to ground them to somewhere other than the back of the pot? Thanks much!

Regards,
    Dave

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    solder the braid to the back of the volume pot, the inner wire goes to the volume pot input lug as the previous pickup hot wire did.

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thank you, sir. I just wasn't sure if it was OK to separate the braid from the wire (not sure why it wouldn't be, but...).

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can if you want, EMG pickups are wired the same way. If you want to separate the braid and hot wire, make a lengthways small cut in the braid and you can then pull the hot wire through the hole in the braid wire

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't know if it is the best way, but I soldered the braid onto the copper shielding right beside the pot. The braid was already separated from the hot wire.