Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Embarrassing Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My second bass (my first one lasted me about half a year, it was a 5 string and I wanted to move down to 4) was some sort of Schecter. It had EMG-HZ pickups. For the longest time, I was mislead into thinking that these were active pickups, as it was advertised that this bass had an "active preamp."

My third bass, which I have had since '03, is a Lakland 44-02. It has a Bartolini MM and J. Lately, I logged on to the forum to ask a question about potentially swapping out the Barts for a pair of more aggressive Basslines, when someone asserted that my pickups were probably not active. At first I wanted to interject and insist on the contrary, but then my certainty on whether or not my last bass was active stopped me from doing so.

Does my bass have active pickups? How would I find out?

Thank you.

2. Question: How often have you changed the battery in your bass?

If your answer is "Never, because there is no battery in my bass" ...then you have passive pickups in your bass.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    lol. No, I have a battery and have indeed changed it several times. I know my preamp is active. I'm trying to find out if my pickups are active too.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The barts you have are passive,and use an active preamp.EMG's on the other hand are active pickups because the preamp is built into the pickups.

5. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    Is it just me, or are we really picking nits here? Isn't the point that there is a preamp somewhere onboard? Or is there actually an advantage to be had by having it at the pups rather than in the electronics cutout? I'm new to this world but I'm an electrical engineer by trade and other than the tiny bit of noise that could be picked up between the pup and the preamp, I can't see how it would make a difference.

6. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    EMG-HZ's are passive, generally used with an active preamp

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Please forget everything I said prior to this and just answer this question. Thank you.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Your pickups are most likely passive. I have Barts in my bass that are passive, wired to a preamp that is powered by a 9v battery. The bass itself because of its electronics would be considered active allthough the pickups are passive.

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    To answer your question,yes, you can swap them out with no problem.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yup, they're passive. Should I delete this thread?

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    This is somewhat true, but Mud Flaps is trying to find the opposite answer and this doesn't necessarily apply.

A bass with passive pickups can still require a battery if it has an active preamp in it, which is the case with the 44-02. Like others have said, Mud Flaps, your pickups are passive.

The reason for differentiating between active and passive pickups is because it is necessary to know what you have if you're trying to swap the pickups with another set.

With the 44-02, replacing the passive Barts with a set of active pickups wouldn't be a direct replacement; he would need to do some extra wiring. Also, I believe the 44-02 has a push/pull pot for active/passive, so if he used active pickups it would basically defeat the purpose of the switch.

(I don't think you should delete this thread. It's nothing to be embarrassed about... the terms are rather confusing. Might as well leave it here for reference. :))

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thank you, Lockout, I agree with you, we should leave it up.

Yes, the reason I ask is because I want to swap pickups. I want to swap my barts for a set of Basslines. Which I think I will do now!

Edit: So I'd be able to swap for any Basslines set that's not active, right?

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You might want to see if Lakland will sell you their Basslines J+MM set directly... I think that would be your best bet.

14. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    Now I understand. Thanks for clearing that one up!