Embarrassing story/embarrassing question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jeff Michael, Jan 26, 2003.

1. I was doing a duo gig last night when the endpin of my bass walked off the edge of the six-inch stage. I'd like to say no damage was done, but that wouldn't be entirely true.

(A word of background: the tuners on this bass have 'knobs' on the outside of the gears--essentially extensions of the shaft that the string winds upon within the scroll.)

Back to the damage: as the bass jumped downward the E string tuner's knob hit me in the side of my neck...and sheared neatly off. Having sighted the piece on the bandstand and ascertained that I hadn't had my carotid artery breached, I played on. Just another typical gigging moment.

The question is a two-parter. One: does that knob's current absence from its normal position represent any structural hazard to my bass? It appears that the shaft is still in place, and given that the gear collar around it is held there with a set screw I don't foresee any immediate danger. Two: is there any reason I can't just (CAREFULLY) glue the bugger back on? I'm thinking at this point that it's merely ornamental anyway, although correction on that point would be welcome as well if it's called for.

Thanks in advance for your opinions (and yeah, I'll be standing further back in the future),
  2. FWIW, I just searched this forum and found an earlier thread indicating that the big ol' knobs are ornamental. Any input on the (CAREFUL) glue-n-clamp plan?

Memo to self: search BEFORE post. Repeat as necessary.
  3. Might want to use a dilluted "hide glue" as one would use for seam repairs. Then future repairs (or collisions) are easier to deal with.
    This is probably what a luthier would do anyway - but perhaps you should ask one.
  4. Actually, if it were to come in my shop, I would go to my lathe and make a replacement.
  5. Thanks for the input, guys. I went with a smidgen of Elmer's Wood Glue and light clamping. Seems to have done the trick. If it holds, it holds. If it doesn't, I'll escalate it to seeking professional help.

6. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Speaking of embarrassment, I was practicing a couple of weeks ago and accidentlly knocked my metronome of my music stand. I made a grab for it, let go my bass and the E tuner hit me on the side of my head near my eye. I had to sit down for 5 minutes. The result was a bump the size and color of a strawberry on the side of my head and a nice black eye. The perils of bass playing!!!