Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

embarrising modifications (ouch)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by level 42, Feb 19, 2005.

1. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    It was 1985 my friends,Jazz & P bass's were selling for $300.00 in ads posted in your local paper by the truckload.I picked up a 77 Marcus Miller bass for $400.00,bring............................. FIRST THING I DO IS PAINT IT WHITE WITH SPRAY PAINT, THEN I SEE A PICTURE OF A TELE BASS HEADSTOCK.....YUP PULL OUT THE SAW AND HAND SANDER AND SHAVE THE HEADSTOCK TO A TELE SHAPE(GOD I BEG YOU, PLEASE FORGIVE ME)..........if you ever meet me guys do me a favor and punch me in the head

2. Youch... Well, have you ever heard the philosphy that once a man has admitted he is wrong, his is forgiven for all his wrong doing? ;)

Not really a permanent mod, but I though Dropped-D tuning was tuning your E string UP TO a D. I tried drop "G" tuning, and I tried to tune my E string up to a high G...

3. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    CAN YOU SAY SLINGSHOT!!!..........man did that string whip across your face

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I don't have any embarrising mods but once when my ear was still terrible I kept tuning my G-string up higher and higher cause the tuner wasn't picking it up and I kept going and going and going and it snapped back fast and gave me a nice licking across my hand, still have the mark. Turns out the volume on my bass was turned down so the tuner wasn't picking it up. :D

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i once carved a yamaha bb2000 fretless into the shape of a ....
    lol

on the good side , the epoxy job on the fb went well :)

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I put a Crate sticker on my old bass because I thought Crate was the best amp company around. :eek:

:ninja:

Now I have woken up.

7. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    done the slingshot high string right into my right hand, I had the top half of the G hanging out of my palm cause the roundwinding stripped around the center wire and it was just there I was like "OOW!!!" and I painted my ibanez neon orange >.< gonna do away with that sooner or later

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Got into the Billy Sheehan craze, scalloped the top 8 frets on my Ibanez Soundgear. Turned out okay, but then I realized I couldn't pull the frets anymore. It's okay, it's a piccolo now :)

Then, I Sheehanized a P-Bass...yep, big hole, big muddy pickup, and an awesome wiring job.

Not embarrassed about either, both turned out well.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i started sanding the silver plating off one of my trumpets in college

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What for?

11. When I was a kid I got my first bass, a 72 Gibson EB-0. The headstock had been broken off at least two times. Anyway, it sounded like... an EB-0, and I wanted it to sound like a precision. So I bought some pickups, traced an outline on my bass, then sharpened a screwdriver and went to town routing a hole into the body. Surprisingly enough, it sounded like poop. I didn't bother to measure where the pickups were going or anything, just a spot I thought looked nice. I used that bass for a year or so before a friend knocked it over broke the headstock off again.

Over the years the headstock had been broken off 2 more times (the same guy "knocked it over" again 6 years later- actually, he just happened to be the closest person to it when it happened). Since then the bridge has been replaced- that was a definate improvement, and several different pickups have been added (including moving the monster pickup back towards the bridge)- there's now a rout the size of an olympic swimming pool in it. I have since learned that the pickup on the original P, the traditional P, the Mustang bass, and the neck pickup on the J are all located at a spot that would roughly translate as the distance from the 12th fret to the 3rd fret. I measured out that distance, re routed and installed a single coil P pickup to it. It actually sounds usable now- but it is short scale and it is uglier than sin.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get yerself a custom pickguard made. Cover that ugliness up.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    to not have anymore silver on it

14. The huge rout is now concealed by a luxurious cover made of black duck tape. :p

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This is 1979, I get back from an 8 month boat gig. I'm playing a 70s Gibson Les Paul Recording bass and decide to have some custom work done.
    [​IMG]

I get the board pulled off, fretless ebony board put on. Got some little 4 pointed stars put on as markers, brass nut. All pretty keen so far, right? Now it gets ugly.
    I wanted to put a Bad Ass bridge on it, but the bridge on an LP is raised off the top. So the guy puts a mahogany "pad", square piece of wood, under the Bad Ass. Which pretty much kills any sustain gained by using a more massive bridge. Then, since I have this idea about getting up into the stratosphere, I get him to increase the cutaway (which turns the cutaway from the usal LP shape to more of a "Florentine" cutaway, think tiny ES -175 cutaway). Which opens up a LOT of ugly laminated work and weakens the stability of the neck block.

Oh well.

16. Wasn't the idea behind the Badass to replace the 2 and 3 point bridges on Gibson basses?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK.
    All I know is that when it got put on,the slight arch in the top of the LP made it so that the A and D didn't clear the fingerboard.
    So he made a little wood pad for it to sit on.

Who's story is this, anyway?

18. Who's line is this anyway?
    [​IMG]

:p