embarrising modifications (ouch)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by level 42, Feb 19, 2005.

1. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    It was 1985 my friends,Jazz & P bass's were selling for $300.00 in ads posted in your local paper by the truckload.I picked up a 77 Marcus Miller bass for $400.00,bring............................. FIRST THING I DO IS PAINT IT WHITE WITH SPRAY PAINT, THEN I SEE A PICTURE OF A TELE BASS HEADSTOCK.....YUP PULL OUT THE SAW AND HAND SANDER AND SHAVE THE HEADSTOCK TO A TELE SHAPE(GOD I BEG YOU, PLEASE FORGIVE ME)..........if you ever meet me guys do me a favor and punch me in the head

2. Youch... Well, have you ever heard the philosphy that once a man has admitted he is wrong, his is forgiven for all his wrong doing? ;)

Not really a permanent mod, but I though Dropped-D tuning was tuning your E string UP TO a D. I tried drop "G" tuning, and I tried to tune my E string up to a high G...

3. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    CAN YOU SAY SLINGSHOT!!!..........man did that string whip across your face

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I don't have any embarrising mods but once when my ear was still terrible I kept tuning my G-string up higher and higher cause the tuner wasn't picking it up and I kept going and going and going and it snapped back fast and gave me a nice licking across my hand, still have the mark. Turns out the volume on my bass was turned down so the tuner wasn't picking it up. :D

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i once carved a yamaha bb2000 fretless into the shape of a ....
    lol

on the good side , the epoxy job on the fb went well :)

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I put a Crate sticker on my old bass because I thought Crate was the best amp company around. :eek:

:ninja:

Now I have woken up.

7. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    done the slingshot high string right into my right hand, I had the top half of the G hanging out of my palm cause the roundwinding stripped around the center wire and it was just there I was like "OOW!!!" and I painted my ibanez neon orange >.< gonna do away with that sooner or later

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Got into the Billy Sheehan craze, scalloped the top 8 frets on my Ibanez Soundgear. Turned out okay, but then I realized I couldn't pull the frets anymore. It's okay, it's a piccolo now :)

Then, I Sheehanized a P-Bass...yep, big hole, big muddy pickup, and an awesome wiring job.

Not embarrassed about either, both turned out well.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i started sanding the silver plating off one of my trumpets in college

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What for?

11. When I was a kid I got my first bass, a 72 Gibson EB-0. The headstock had been broken off at least two times. Anyway, it sounded like... an EB-0, and I wanted it to sound like a precision. So I bought some pickups, traced an outline on my bass, then sharpened a screwdriver and went to town routing a hole into the body. Surprisingly enough, it sounded like poop. I didn't bother to measure where the pickups were going or anything, just a spot I thought looked nice. I used that bass for a year or so before a friend knocked it over broke the headstock off again.

Over the years the headstock had been broken off 2 more times (the same guy "knocked it over" again 6 years later- actually, he just happened to be the closest person to it when it happened). Since then the bridge has been replaced- that was a definate improvement, and several different pickups have been added (including moving the monster pickup back towards the bridge)- there's now a rout the size of an olympic swimming pool in it. I have since learned that the pickup on the original P, the traditional P, the Mustang bass, and the neck pickup on the J are all located at a spot that would roughly translate as the distance from the 12th fret to the 3rd fret. I measured out that distance, re routed and installed a single coil P pickup to it. It actually sounds usable now- but it is short scale and it is uglier than sin.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get yerself a custom pickguard made. Cover that ugliness up.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    to not have anymore silver on it

14. The huge rout is now concealed by a luxurious cover made of black duck tape. :p

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This is 1979, I get back from an 8 month boat gig. I'm playing a 70s Gibson Les Paul Recording bass and decide to have some custom work done.
    [​IMG]

I get the board pulled off, fretless ebony board put on. Got some little 4 pointed stars put on as markers, brass nut. All pretty keen so far, right? Now it gets ugly.
    I wanted to put a Bad Ass bridge on it, but the bridge on an LP is raised off the top. So the guy puts a mahogany "pad", square piece of wood, under the Bad Ass. Which pretty much kills any sustain gained by using a more massive bridge. Then, since I have this idea about getting up into the stratosphere, I get him to increase the cutaway (which turns the cutaway from the usal LP shape to more of a "Florentine" cutaway, think tiny ES -175 cutaway). Which opens up a LOT of ugly laminated work and weakens the stability of the neck block.

Oh well.

16. Wasn't the idea behind the Badass to replace the 2 and 3 point bridges on Gibson basses?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK.
    All I know is that when it got put on,the slight arch in the top of the LP made it so that the A and D didn't clear the fingerboard.
    So he made a little wood pad for it to sit on.

Who's story is this, anyway?

18. Who's line is this anyway?
    [​IMG]

:p