Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eMedia Bass Method, Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Apr 12, 2002.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Howdy all!

I just started playing bass on Monday, when I picked up one of the Fender P-Bass starter kits. I have no previous experience with bass or guitar, and I last played an instrument (violin & alto/baritone sax) 22 yrs ago.

Anyway, I picked up Fast Track: Bass 1 to go along with the video that came with the bass starter kit. I figure once I can do all the stuff in the video and book, I'll need more instructional material.

I've seen the eMedia Bass Method software in different music stores and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it. I don't want to blow $60 and find out it makes a better coaster than anything else.

Also, if anyone has ideas on other instructional material that they found exceptional for the rank beginner, I would love to hear it.

I am thinking about lessons, but I have a tight schedule with work & school until May so I wouldn't be able to take any until at least June.

Thanks for any replies.

2. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    You can download a demo of the E-media software from their site , http://www.emedia.org/bass.html .

It seems pretty cool. I thought about picking it up as well, but haven't yet.

Anyone actually buy it, and can say it is worth it?

3. cwadley

cwadley

Apr 27, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have eMedia's Bass Method. It's good for learning how to improvise and how to create your own basslines. If, however, your main desire right now is to learn the actual mechanics and techniques of properly playing the bass, it's not so good.

If you already know how to "play" the bass (physically), I recommend eMedia for learning what notes to actually play.

As far as materials that are good for learning the mechanics of how to actually play, I recommend the following:

Warner Bros. "Bass Basics" 1 & 2 (Books/CDs w/ Video), are good. The video is pretty good on showing proper left and and right hand technique.

Also, a GREAT book (sorry no video or CD) is "Essential Bass Technique" by Peter Murray. In that book he not only explains proper technique, but also why it is beneficial. Highly Recommended, but, again, I wish there was a video to go along with it.

BTW, I also checked out the Fast Track! Bass series, and I think that that series is good up to a point. It's a lot of fun; you get to play some cool lines along with good backing music. But, I found it lacking in technical instruction, as far as improvisational instruction. For these aspects, its better to go with the materials I've mentioned.

Later.

-Chris

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I picked up playpro's interactive bass software, I used it for a while and I haven't used it in months. I learned more just playing along with cd's. You learn different tricks from different player's and then you add them into your style. I learned the most from blues cd's. good luck.

George

5. tm3

tm3

Oct 10, 2001
    north carolina
    although i have not seen the bass course, based on my experience with guitar materials i'd be wary of the emedia stuff. their beginning guitar cd is ok, but i think there are better ways to spend $50-60 on educational materials. their blues guitar cd is a rip off -- $30 for a bunch of tab that is free on the www.

6. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    After downloading the demo, I was not impressed at all. I agree with tm3, you could buy some nice books for the same amount of money.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I guess I'll hold off on the eMedia software for now, based on what you guys are saying.

I found the "Bass Basics" Vols. 1 & 2 (videos only) at the guitar center around here. Is this definitely worth $22?

Right now I want to make sure more than anything that my hands are in the right positions, as I don't want to learn any bad habits that I'll have to un-learn later.

I'm really concerned with the fretting hand, as I keep slipping upward on the frets as I'm playing and reading the tabs. I was thinking about putting a piece of masking tape to guide my thumb to the right position for the first fret, but will try any other suggestions you guys might have. My wrist is usually sore after practice, and I don't know if it's due to bad posture, or if my finger / hand muscles just need to build up through practice.

I started looking into lessons yesterday. I went to a local music shop, but they almost seemed like they couldn't be bothered to give me info and answer my questions, so I'll probably have to look somewhere else. Does anyone know of good instructors in the central CT area? I'm willing to travel (20-30 miles) if they can accomodate my schedule (basically Fri nights / weekends until summertime, then I have more flexibility).

I don't think I was clear in my original post, but the bass I bought was the Squier P-Bass included in their Bass-Pack. It seems to me that this is a different bass than a Fender P-Bass.

Right now with this bass, I getting a buzzy sound when I hit the 3rd and 4th frets. How can I tell if this is due to me not pushing down hard enough on the string or is due to the string being too high off the fretboard? I say this because it seems like I'm working too hard to get rid of (most of) the buzz.

If the string is too high, how do I correctly go about adjusting it? I know the height is controlled by 2 allen screws (per string) on the bridge, but how do I keep from going too low if I adjust it? Also, do all strings need to be the same height (which it seems to be on my bass) or can they be adjusted to different heights?

As for the plucking hand, how lightly am I supposed to pluck the strings? Should I be cranking up the amp and just touching it? Or should it actually feel like I pulled the string slightly?

Like I said before I'm brand spanking new with the bass, so any answers are greatly appreciated.

8. Ha, you go the same bass as me. Well, you should pluck the string kind of hard, but the volume should go up more, so it's both. You can make the strings go up and down with the bridge, and you might have to get the bass setup. Just bring it to the store you bought it and ask if you can watch while they do it. Should be free since you bought it there. Well, I learned from all the Fastrack books and they're ok, but I hate taht the tab is down there so I put tape over it so I'd learn the standard notation. But good luck and keep us posted. BTW: welcome to talkbass

Oddman

9. tm3

tm3

Oct 10, 2001
    north carolina
    willplay4food--

i'm a rookie too, and i understand where your questions are coming from. i had a little guitar background that carried over, but still there is a lot that is different about the bass.

an instructor might be the best bang for the buck as far as getting you started on the correct technique, even if it is only a couple of lessons or so. a good instructor imho is the best way to learn, but if the instructor is not good i think it is preferable to learn from books, www, video, etc.

one thing i would recommend is that when you are practicing stuff like fretting strings, slow down. make sure you are in the correct position, and hold it. play slow enough that you don't make mistakes. this can be very boring but is faster in the long run. you might want to look at www.guitarprinciples.com for suggestions like this. it is for guitar not bass but has some application. i think you can get the gist of what he is saying without buying his book.

and hey if you find anything detailed about the right hand, pass it on!

good luck!