Emergenza Festival/show thingie?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnoMan, Oct 14, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Has anyone heard of the Emergenza Festival or taken part in it?

I just recieved a message on myspace about it. But..the profile is pretty much blank. I chose not to click the link they provided but searched for the site myself and it looks...like a well made site with a lot more work than a scammer would put into it...for sure

So, does anyone know anything about this deal or have any of you participated?

Any info is appreciated, I"m rather leary...Dennis leary that is...

2. Be sure to bring your checkbook. It's a glorified battle of the bands, but it's also pay to play. You get a form-letter invite, then pay a fee (@ 70 bucks) to play, and you have to sell tickets too. Then, you "win" by gettin voted at the END of the show...which means anyone who came to see you better stay til the end to yell hooray.

I wasn't impressed when I interviewed a couple years ago. Didn't bother. But you should at least interview if you're interested, and find out for yourself if it's a good "fit". There's some okay prizes to be had...
  3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

We're generally against the idea of battles of the bands...

I'm so disgusted by the level of animosity and competition between too many bands in my area....

Pay to play and selling tickets....and then odds are it's not gonna be in this area...

Well, might get more info for shats and giggles..
  4. We passed on it while it was here. Pay to play... battle of the bands... no thanks. I think it was a month of that. It was good for the bar- it was good for the Emergenza people- I don't know who "won" and the guys that I knew that did 2 or 3 rounds of it didn't either.
  5. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I got the same message on myspace. I'm interested in it but I've not made up my mind either way. I think it'd be a lot of fun to play in front of a ton of people seeing as my average show has like 25 people. The whole pay to play thing doesn't sound appealing though.
  6. I think there was a good thread about Emergenza in the 'Band Management' forum - it might be worth the search.

My experience:
    - paid $75 entry fee for the band
    - received free set of strings
    - 25 minute set including changeover (nightmare)
    - timeslots are randomly drawn, we ended up with 8pm and nobody in the bar except who we brought
    - Sold about 20 tix at $12/each, didn't see a cent (it all goes to Emergenza)
    - lost in first round

Don't play it unless you can't organize a show yourself. You're better off not scamming your friends/fans for $12 to see you play a rushed show when they could see 2 or 3 of your regular shows for that price.
  7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah, I'm saying F this.

Looks like a crap deal.
  8. if you have some extra cash, play it, then smash all your instruments (cheap ones) after your done and just walk off...
  9. i got the message too.

What really raised the red flag for me was that they included "Giving songs to our mangement" as one of the activities. F that.
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    exactly the thread I wanted to start!

We got a similar message, too !

My drummer is very enthousiastic about it, but I'm going to blow it off.

It sounds like a scam to me.
  11. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    the band i just joined was innit this year.
    my first gig was the regional finals in cinci.
    the sound person at the show effed us properly, our former guitar player, who subbed in, sucked anus, then proceeded to blame me for us losing!
    the band eviscerated him, btw...:D
    the voting was by how many of yer own people you could get in...i don't like popularity contests, or fundraisers for the Man.
    we were contacted to be innit again...thank God we aren't gonna!
    not a bad thing, but...don't waste yer time.