Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMERSON GUT STRINGS

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Has anybody tried Emerson Gut strings ?

http://www.indiamart.com/globalgut/

Apparently they don't have the smooth finish of pricier strings, but they are dirt cheap ! They also have a wide range of gauges which could be interesting. I am looking for the gut sound and left hand feel, with the bow response of good steel strings. I know that cellists for example, have this sort of good gut string. I have no clue but somehow I think that thinner gut strings might do the trick (they would still be as thick as steel strings).

The other question is, how do they sound?

Francois, est-ce que t'est la? (mon ordinateur n'as pas d'accents ou de cedille)

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Oui je suis là! :)
    Are you from Quebec City too?

I don't think that cheap gut is worth buying.
    Did you try Jargar strings?
    I'm no arco player, but heard very good comments about them for bowing.
    From a pizz standpoint, they're very dark and thumpy.

3. So you don't think that these strings would be worth it, even as an introduction to gut?
    What about the clef guts?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's what I know about Emersons...

They're not quite as refined as more expensive brands, but they're allegedly the lowest tension guts on the market. You have to oil and tie them yourself, though.

I have a set of Clef guts and like them very much. I have heard them compared favorably to Lenzers and Efranos, but I doubt they're as good as Duoglecki or Gamut, which cost like $450 a set. I only have experience with Clefs, though.

Can't tell you about bowing, though. I'm not very good.

5. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hi everyone

Salut Francois! non, j'habite a Winnipeg.

You have to oil them? what's the deal with oiling? how much? how often? why?

They have different gauges too, does anyone have info on the different tension for the different gauges?

6. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    "I am looking for the gut sound and left hand feel, with the bow response of good steel strings."

the closest thing i've recently found is solo Dominants tuned down to orch pitch. i just posted my opionion of them in the appropriate thread. they're not totally the gut sound, but if you want a nice loose feel (tho not big in diameter) with a good punchy pizz sound that's not too zingy and easy bowing, they may satisfy. of course, i've only been on them just over a week. good luck, let us know what you end up with and how it works!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You oil guts to make them more pliable. I just wipe a little olive oil on mine every couple weeks (well, actually now I don't because I have Eudoxas and not plain guts on my bass). Some use baby oil as well. Not sure how much you have to oil them to be able to tie the knots in them without breaking them, but I'm sure someone on here knows.

8. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    good point, I was wondering about the knots too.

and later on, when the strings are already on the bass, do you need to unwind them to oil the area that is in the peg? or do you just oil the part where you finger? do you oil the part where you bow? (rosin and oil are kind of opposites)

how about the gauges? is anyone experienced with the thinner gauges of gut?

Sorry about all the questions, there just seems to be no info about gut strings.

take care guys !

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You want info on guts, go to www.rockabillybass.com, where more people use them.

Once they're on the bass, you shouldn't have to oil the parts that are hard to get to. Maybe lightly wipe them down with a coat of oil as much as you can, but you don't want to keep taking them on and off or they'll break. Some people don't oil the part where you bow, but I always did. You just have to wait a day to let the oil soak in and then it won't damage your bow hair.

Gauges are not standard with guts, but they're always pretty thick. I don't know of anyone who offers them in different gauges.